Best Automatic Backup

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know what would be the best Backup method for my Macbook.

I need it to be automatic, wireless and on an external device (or somewhere external as long as it's not on my own computer) I wan't it all functionning without thinking about it.

Greets

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
best???

With your qualifications, I would suggest Time Capsule & Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
best???

With your qualifications, I would suggest Time Capsule & Time Machine.

I gotta agree with this all the way. Time Machine is the best one I have ever used.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay thx, but are these time capsules also routers? Will I have to replace my old router with the time capsule? I'm just curious because I don't really want to change anything to the internet connection (works fine how it is now).

Reaction score
Okay thx, but are these time capsules also routers? Will I have to replace my old router with the time capsule? I'm just curious because I don't really want to change anything to the internet connection (works fine how it is now).

Yeah it also works as a wireless base station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hi,

I'd like to know what would be the best Backup method for my Macbook.

I need it to be automatic, wireless and on an external device (or somewhere external as long as it's not on my own computer) I wan't it all functionning without thinking about it.

Greets

Take a step back mate and answer the following 2 questions:
1) How long can you afford to be out of business ( ie. without the data on your Mac )
2) How much data can you afford to loose and how much time and effort are you willing to invest in re-creating lost or corrupted data.

The answers to these 2 questions will define your backup strategy and the required technology.

Time Machine will make unattended backups every hour ( unless you tweak it ) but the backups are not bootable.
Other tools like SuperDuper! will create a bootable backup which is a snapshot in time, but will get you back in business much faster than Time Machine.
What about a combination of both ? :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.