Thought Apple was American Based...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens
I thought Apple was a California based company? I thought Macs are assembled and sent from California? So I ordered a 17" MBP the other day and Im looking at my FedEX Tracker and my MBP is coming from Shanghai, China. What's that about? I'm concerned now. Im paying all this money for the best there is in computing and I have a feeling that my Mac is being pieced together with parts from China. I'm sorry but any product I had assembled there always broke down. If I wanted a computer put together from China than I would of bought a PC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're kidding, right? Apple makes nothing here. It's all "Designed in California, made in China" as are most consumer electronics today from any company. Aside from "boutique" manufacturers, I think Dell was the last manufacturer to even assemble PCs here - they just shut down their last assembly plant a few weeks ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We covered this recently in 1-2 threads last week!

I'm not really sure why this is "new news" to anyone...this Apple "corporate structure" has been in place for quite a while!

- Nick

So I ordered a 17" MBP the other day and Im looking at my FedEX Tracker and my MBP is coming from Shanghai, China. What's that about?

If this REALLY bothers you...then cancel your order...problem solved!:)

- Nick

p.s. BTW...your avatar says that you have an 8-Core Mac Pro...did you think this was "Made in the USA" as well??

F

fade

Apple is an American based company. They manufacture computers in China.

Hate to tell you, but a lot of your "American" products are made outside or parts were sourced outside this country.

OP
Tracks83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008- Mac Pro 2.8ghz-8 Core, 10Gig Ram, Nvidia 8800GT Card, 2x 500Gig HD, 2x Dell 2408 Screens
Wow! Sorry! Didn't think that was a bad question. When I decided to buy an Apple product all I heard was its California based and the reason they are expensive because the design and parts are all made here. So I figured Ok that makes sense as to the price tags on these products. No big deal I can afford it. I like having a well made product.
So to answer your question PIGOO3, Yes! I DID THINK IT WAS MADE IN THE US!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow! Sorry! Didn't think that was a bad question. When I decided to buy an Apple product all I heard was its California based and the reason they are expensive because the design and parts are all made here. So I figured Ok that makes sense as to the price tags on these products. No big deal I can afford it. I like having a well made product.
So to answer your question PIGOO3, Yes! I DID THINK IT WAS MADE IN THE US!!!

Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's poor quality. Apple makes sure its manufacturers follow its strict production guidelines. So you're still getting a high quality product.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's poor quality. Apple makes sure its manufacturers follow its strict production guidelines. So you're still getting a high quality product.

Great point Kash!!!
t2030.gif

"Tracks83"...the majority of United States companies that have products manufactured overseas have strict production & quality parameters! These parameters (in many cases) are just as strict as they would be if the products were made in the United States.

The only reason why "build quality" or "product quality" would decrease is if Apple actually made a decision to reduce the quality of the materials used or reduced or widened the manufacturing specifications for products.

A very very good product can be made anywhere in the world...and vice versa...a very very bad product can be made anywhere in the world as well!

What determines quality is what materials the "parent company" decides to use in it's products...and how tight the manufacturing tolerances are.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have been working in the electronics industry for a long time you would be surprised
at the percentage of products made in china and assembled their also very few things
are actually made in the U.S.A. and even fewer with all American parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have been working in the electronics industry for a long time you would be surprised
at the percentage of products made in china and assembled their also very few things
are actually made in the U.S.A. and even fewer with all American parts.

No! We would not!! China manufacturing plant of the world and India the IT leaders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I know that some buses are made here if that tells you anything!

Don't worry Tracks83, a couple of days ago I thought you were right! You're not alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even American cars aren't 100% American built. Parts are made from all over the world and just put together in plants, some of which may not even be in the United States (take a look at the list of Ford factories, not many in the US)

Reaction score
I believe you can get a 100% refund from Apple since your new uMBP has failed to meet your quality standards. Just make sure you don't open the box. If you open the box I believe there is a 10% restock charge so it would be best to just call and arrange the return as soon as it arrives.

You might want to do a little bit of research as the the country of origin before ordering whatever PC you decide on. If you want want something assembled in the USA I think your are going to be SOL. Dell used to assemble desktops here but moved that off shore years ago. I think everything you find is going to assembled in Asia whether it be Malaysia or China. Be aware that they all use basically the same components. Many, if not most, of those components are going to manufactured in China.

I don't think you will be successful in avoiding China totally. Maybe if you were building a desktop it might be done but not buying a notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if he were building a desktop, none of the components needed are American made. Motherboard, processor, hard drive, memory, it's all built in some Asian country. You simply cannot buy all American electronics anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I believe that I, and my wife (Brooklyn and Colombia respectively), are the only two things in are house not made in China. Oh yeah, we have a bookshelf made in Brazil. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might want to do a little bit of research as the the country of origin before ordering whatever PC you decide on.
In the grand scheme of things, what does this really matter? Who cares where your goods are made? If it's for economic reasons, that would be silly because the economy adapts to changes in production and purchasing. It's happened before and it will happen again. If it's for nationalistic reasons, you need to get over it plain and simple.

I think the only thing that I actually buy Canadian for instance is beer (simply because I like it). For everything else, I could care less where it's made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
In the grand scheme of things, what does this really matter? Who cares where your goods are made? If it's for economic reasons, that would be silly because the economy adapts to changes in production and purchasing. It's happened before and it will happen again. If it's for nationalistic reasons, you need to get over it plain and simple.

I think the only thing that I actually buy Canadian for instance is beer (simply because I like it). For everything else, I could care less where it's made.

What about Canadian gold and silver? The USA only produces dollars. Canada has resources. Oh, by the way, remember you can only rent beer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
We actually possess a lot of natural resources, copper, iron, gold, silver, uranium, oil, etc and produce a lot of it.

But you can only rent beer, that is true. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.