mac mini 10.3.9 . . . . 10.4 on the horizon?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have looked over previous posts but would be interested to know your opinions.

I have found that more and more sites are using Flash Player 10. However this player doesn't install on my old 10.3.9 mac mini:

Machine Model: Mac mini
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

I was considering upgrading the OS to 10.4 so I can install the version 10 player but have concerns about how well the machine will run after the upgrade.

I've looked at the system requirements that someone else has kindly posted and my machine will meet them. However I'm interested to know how well it will work in reality ;D

Will my machine cope with such an upgrade . . . or does anyone have another suggestion to get flash player 10 installed? Also would an OS10.4 upgrade have an impact on the software I'm using in 10.3.9?

If it is relevant, I tend to use the computer for design work (adobe/macromedia products) which are quite memory intensive. Also I'm pretty sure the memory is upgraded as much as it can be.

Many thanks in advance

metalfury

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also would an OS10.4 upgrade have an impact on the software I'm using in 10.3.9?

You will have no problems running Mac OS 10.4 on your Mini.

As far as your question about 10.4 impacting the software you're using in 10.3.9...kind of impossible to say at this point, you didn't tell us what software programs you are running! You would be best off going to the software developers website, and checking the system requirements for each software package.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Many thanks Nick for your reply.

The software I'm using is the usual Adobe/Macromedia suites (Photoshop CS2, Flash 8, Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Illustrator CS2, Indesign CS2 etc).

The only 'odd' bits I've got are CorelDraw 11, retrospect (backup software), QuarkXpress 6.5 and an old MS Office Suite which runs in classic mode (just to read some supplied docs).

I've also got the factory installed software, like mail iphoto etc.

I'll take your advice and look at the software manufacturers websites to check their system requirements.

If all goes well, I'll update the OS!

Cheers again

metalfury

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact update to leopard OS X.5 rather than Tiger. Your Mini will handle Leopard very nicely and is likely to be the final OS available for we PPC users. Using Tiger will be only an intermediate step to leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.