Onyx Message on new uMBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I got a new uMBP (5,5) about a month ago and finally got around to running Onyx on it today. After it was done with the initial check (quitting all applications, verifying disk, etc...), it told me "the volume needs to be repaired." I don't think I've done anything in my month or so of owning my computer, so I'm wondering what prompted this message and if it's a real problem. I've attached a shot of the message it gave me for clarification.

Screen shot 2009-11-13 at 6.58.01 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to what the problem may be. Possible it's just detected some bad sectors on the drive. Nothing unusual, but do go ahead and run the repair as suggested.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got a new uMBP (5,5) about a month ago and finally got around to running Onyx on it today. After it was done with the initial check (quitting all applications, verifying disk, etc...), it told me "the volume needs to be repaired." I don't think I've done anything in my month or so of owning my computer, so I'm wondering what prompted this message and if it's a real problem. I've attached a shot of the message it gave me for clarification.

Have you ever forcibly powered the machine down without using the Apple menu => Shut Down? That's enough to cause a filesystem error.

OP
Corbab
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Thanks for the help. Is there any possibility the repair will damage any of my files? I'm a little hesitant when it comes to using Disk Utility still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
If you have a good backup you really have nothing to worry about. Onyx will not continue until you perform the requested tasks. I actually got this same error last week and I booted from the SL DVD and performed the fixes and all was fine. I had a hard shutdown (not realizing I didn't plug into a battery backup outlet) like cwa107 mentioned, so that could have been the issue.

All is well now and Onyx works perfectly with no errors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.