Sleep vs "Instant Sleep" (Option+Command+Eject)

Reaction score
I recently saw a "Tip of the Week" saying that Option+Command+Eject instantly sleeps your Macbook Pro. I tried it and it worked. However, I want to know whether I can move it right after it Instant Sleeps. I know that I am not suppose to move it when I shut the lid until the light "breaths".

is there any probably with Option+Command+Eject? Like will it screw up my computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Normal "sleep mode" copies the current system state to memory (hibernate) and then puts the hard drive and display to sleep.

Instant "sleep" bypasses copying the system state to memory and just puts the machine to sleep.

With the above in mind, if you use your machine primarily at home on your desk, instant sleep is fine. It can't hurt the computer or cause data loss unless you put it to instant sleep while you're moving about or the machine is in the process of copying files or accessing the hard drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
"Normal sleep" mode, "Instant sleep" mode

On macbook how to do them?

Do you have to/can you close the cover; and later instantly continue where you stopped before?

Within what time frame should you do this, and what are the advantages of doing so compared to logging-out and restart the system later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
They're both the same. Opt-cmd-eject is just the keyboard shortcut for the Sleep command.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
I run my macbook in clamshell and only use my 23" screen with my wireless peripherals and I only do instant sleep for the convenience. I have never experienced a problem with the instant sleep. I personally love key commands so naturally I use this multiple times a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Log-out vs sleep mode!

I think there must be a difference between both in how the mac processes data in processes, open websites etc

Considering the options, I am pretty sure most will select sleep mode as you can exist but log -in back as quickly as you did exit.

But with logging-out, it can take longer, sometimes a bit too long!

What are the processes in both cases, and what could be the security issues we should be aware!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.