Did I fry my fifth-generation iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Okay...so I decided to save money by simply upgrading my hard drive rather than getting a whole new iPod -- my 30-gig fifth-gen is full.

Now, I have repaired my iPod before -- I successfully repaired my headphone jack last month -- so I felt okay in doing this...so I took the hard drive out and even removed the ribbon cable connecting it (that is, removed it from the motherboard). I took the battery out as well.

(I accidentally turned the iPod on after I took the hard drive out...it was kind of spooky -- it still gave me all the menus and the ability to select all my music...the artists, albums, and song titles were still there! It's obvious that iTunes puts this info in the firmware...)

Then I realized the hard drive I bought isn't compatible (D'OH!!!!) -- meaning physically impossible to even attempt to connect, so I put the old hard drive back in, making sure the connections were correct, etc. When I started it up, I got the sad face with the Apple service URL.

I reopened the case and checked to make sure all was connected properly...it was, according to the videos I saw and from prior experience....still gave me the sad face....AND a "Very low battery" warning, which was strange because the battery was fully charged before I took the thing apart...and the battery was connected securely and with the connector in the proper way.

I know the hard drive is connected properly because I heard and felt it spinning up.

I tried plugging in the charger for a while to make the "Very low battery" message go away, but it kept coming up.

I was able to get the iPod to boot in disk mode, but it would either give me the checkmark screen saying it was OK to disconnect, or the "Do not disconnect" screen. Nothing else.

Also, I was able to get the iPod to boot into diagnostics mode. The tests ran fine -- except (unless I'm interpreting things wrong!) it thinks that the hard drive has a 96-gigabyte capacity!

Now...this whole time, I also tried connecting to my MacBook (my main computer), and the MacBook never recognized it....it was as if I didn't plug in any devices at all.

And one thing I will admit...and this might give me the answer to my big question, but I figured I'd ask anyway...during the time my iPod was open, my finger slipped when I plugged the battery back in and I saw a tiny spark (VERY tiny, like maybe a few millimiters) in the corner near the connector...I thought nothing of it because once I connected a hard drive incorrectly to my AmigaOne and the motherboard literally smoked but after I reconnected all worked perfectly.

So, all you DIY-ers...does this sound like I killed my iPod (in addition to blowing money on a hard drive I can't use)? Should I try other things, or should I just consider a new iPod as my annual expensive Christmas gift to myself? (This one was my expensive Christmas gift to myself in '05...)

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Just an update...I did manage to get the screen asking me to restore via iTunes...didn't stay on long enough for me to connect to my computer, though...I'm going to try replacing the battery. Even if that doesn't work, I'm only out five bucks on that.

Reaction score
One spark is enough to fry everything, especially on a small circuitry like the iPod. And as far as diagnostics go, if it's reading that the HDD has nearly a 100 gig capacity, then it isn't getting the information correctly. If it isn't getting information correctly, then yes, essentially your iPod is f-r-i-e-d. Time to buy a new one.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that I did -- got a 160-gig Classic. But I still want to try to revive my 5G...

There's definitely something crazy going on....I'm able to put the 5G into disk mode, at which point it registers that the battery is full....if the battery isn't full, it displays the charging icon at the top of the screen until it IS full...but when NOT in disk mode, I get the "Very Low Battery" warning. Even tried a brand-new battery. If I connect the iPod to a USB port (front or rear), that's when I get the low battery warning, but not any other time....

I just have a hard time letting go, I guess! Was thinking I could revive it somewhat and use it as a "Christmas" iPod or something...now I think I'll have to just salvage the hard drive and use that as a spare temporary storage device...oh well...

Loving the Classic, though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.