Windows Live Sync is preventing Automatic Sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2009 aluminum uni-body, Intel 2.66Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HD
My Macbook Pro will not longer go to sleep automatically, when Windows Live Sync (WLS) is enabled. It sleeps fine if I choose sleep or shut the lid, but not based on the energy preferences. The screen dims, or turns off right on queue (I understand the difference between, display sleep and system sleep). I determined the issue is WLS. With WLS disabled the machine sleeps fine, but not with WLS enabled.
Using FS_usage in terminal, only logging filesystem writes, I see that windows live sync is writing to the disk every few seconds, continuously.
Even though no files have been changed, and no activity is displayed in the
WLS "activity" monitor.
While watching the fs_usage log, I then Quit WLS, the WLS writing stops,
no other writing (since everything else is shut down), and then the machine
sleeps according to the sleep preferences.
This bug is 100% reproducible. I have enabled and disabled Live Sync in combination with other programs, Bluetooth on/off, sharing on/off, etc. Everytime the same, no automatic sleep when WLS is enabled. Sleeps correctly when WLS is disabled.
I need WLS to keep my multiple computers in Sync, its a great program. I
just need to figure this bug out.
Could someone else check their fs_usage and see if window live sync is making excessive activity. I used this terminal command to monitor filesystem writes: sudo fs_usage -e -f filesystem|grep -v CACHE_HIT|grep -v grep|grep write

Jeff

Spec's:
mid-2009 aluminum uni-body, Intel 2.66Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HD
Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Clean install to 10.6, then upgraded)
Login items: Steermouse, and WLS
Also running at startup, but not in Login items: Paragon NTFS, Flip4Mac,
MacFuse, LogMeIn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you gotten the latest release of WLC? (now supports Snow Leopard)

LINK

Not sure if it'll help out with the "hits" on the HDD, but might be worth a try if you haven't already updated.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.