my new MBP scared me to death this morning :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
I generally leave it on overnight, playing a movie as i fall asleep. been doing so for about a month... when the movies over it eventually falls asleep. i wake up in the morning, roll over, hit a random key, and it wakes up so i can see my email..

well, this morning, it didnt wake up. I noticed the light on the magsafe wasnt on, and i couldnt get it to turn on or show any sign of life... it was plugged in the entire night, i thought it was a goner.

I switch to a different outlet, still no luck...

I come downstairs, and try another outlet, this time, the green light comes on, and quickly goes back off.. i unplug it and plug it back in again, this time it finally stays on and turns to orange as normal...

Somehow, while being plugged in overnight, it managed to drain completely to 0%.. once it was plugged in for a few seconds it let me start it back up.. instead of the usual apple loading logo, or strait to the desktop as im used to seeing, it was the grey screen with some kind of loading bar... after a minute it finally starts up to my password screen, but actued VERY sluggish logging in... a few seconds after i got to my desktop, everything seems to be back to normal...

Any ideas why it did this????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, that is definitely behavior of battery completely drained (the startup with grey screen). Normal.

How it drained while plugged in is weird. Unless the plug on the side of your MBP somehow got bumped and disconnected. It's magnetic and can sometimes looks like it is plugged into the notebook but actually is not fully connected. That's a possibility and therefore would account for your battery draining overnight. And why the light wasn't on green or orange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I had a new power adapter act like that. It was bad. Just keep an eye on it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
Yeah, it was fully plugged in. Confirmed that right away instinctively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't be surprised if maybe something got stuck on the magsafe.

Reaction score
maybe the MBP shut off incoming power so it wouldnt kill the battery. things like the nintendo ds do that. sorry if im wrong, im just lurking and learning stuff before i get a mbp for christmas. cant wait!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.