Mail Attachment File Size Changes When Sent to Outlook Account

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro and since then it seems that I cannot send any picture attachments to an Outlook user without having them arrive as much smaller files than originally sent. For example, I just sent a 2MB JPEG file and it arrived as a 5KB file. I have this problem whether I send pictures directly from iPhoto or if I export them first and then attach them.

I also just upgraded to Snow Leopard and the problem persists. Anyone seen this problem? Thanks.

Reaction score
Have you tried sending the email to yourself as well as an outlook user - this would confirm if the file is being downsampled your end, or by the outlook machine?

What software are you using to send the email?

Have you just tried dragging the 2MB image from a finder window to your email before sending it - bypassing iphoto alltogether.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks metalfury for your response.

Yes, I sent the message to myself and there is no problem with the attachments

I am using Mail 4.1

Yes, I attached the file directly to the email without going through iphoto and the problem is the same.

The thing is I didn't have this problem with my older Macbook (white one with Leopard OS). This only started when I got the Macbook Pro.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would venture to say, that if you send a pic to your friend and CC it to yourself, it leaves your computer and is sent back to your computer in the proper size and the size has changed on theirs, the issue does not lie with your machine or your ISP. The problem is on the other end somewhere.

The next thing to try would be to send the email from the web version of your email rather than from the Mail app.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. I tried sending the attachment directly through webmail and it works fine, not problems getting the original attachment to Outlook email. So, it seems that the problem is in the Mail app, doesn't it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What is the size and file type you are sending and I'll do some testing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.