interesting mac review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
naa you got to feel sorry for the guy come one. and as for the iChat i can totally believe it because unless you use MSN for winblows or another client there is a load of feature missing.

Its a sad fact of life that unless your lucky something bad will happen like that and feel like your the only one

K

Kokopelli

Well, I feel for the author. The sad fact is that his problems are not unique, but part of a pattern. A significant minority of mac purchases turn out to be lemons. A far higher percentage than I think is acceptable.

It does not make Apple a bad company, but there have been some significant quality control and build issues. Heck I would rather get an Apple product at the end of it product cycle than at the beginning since any problmes that are likely to come up have been seen. That is the opposite of my practices when building a Windows machine.

T

Thud

Kokopelli said:
Well, I feel for the author. The sad fact is that his problems are not unique, but part of a pattern. A significant minority of mac purchases turn out to be lemons. A far higher percentage than I think is acceptable.

It does not make Apple a bad company, but there have been some significant quality control and build issues. Heck I would rather get an Apple product at the end of it product cycle than at the beginning since any problmes that are likely to come up have been seen. That is the opposite of my practices when building a Windows machine.

Yeah the real issue is that we are paying a premium for these machines. I mean people almost expect those kind of QC issues with budget PC's, but Apple has convinced many people that you get what you pay for.
So, you pay twice as much for a computer and it turns out to be no more reliable, and the support sucks-- what are you paying for then?

Fortunately, my mini has been problem-free, and I haven't heard any mac mini horror stories like this.
To Apple's credit, these capacitor problems weren't their fault. Their capacitor supplier had stolen a design from another company but implemented it wrong, causing them to leak. Abit (PC motherboard manufacturer) went through the same thing a couple years ago.
So this probably created an immense amount of support issues that Apple wasn't prepared to deal with. Hopefully they are learning some lessons here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kokopelli said:

Considering that Apple has been rated highest for reliability among PC makers in "objective" surveys for some time now, I think that the problem is not with Apple, but with the cheaper-at-any-cost PC components industry. The constant cycle of "More speed! Lower Cost!" has left quality slide, and Apple can only be as good as the components it uses.

Apple gets a lot of flack whenever its systems have trouble, because of the intimate nature of the Mac community on the internet. If 1% of all iMacs are defective, that's thousands of people. Nobody ever posts "My iMac works just like it's supposed to!!! by the unlucky 1% makes lots of noise. Man bites dog.
References:
http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1735,s=1590&iid=84673,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1735,s=1590&iid=84674,00.asp
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv3.jsp?CONTENT<>cnt_id =305449

K

Kokopelli

Whether it is Apple's "fault" is not really the subject at hand, and I agree it is a fairly small number who have problems. Take, as an example, the iBook logic board problems. This took a long time for Apple to officially recognize and even now it is a subject more or less swept under the rug. The same can be said for problems with the iMac.

I have had no problems whatsoever with my PowerBook, and many others do not have problems either. I do not dispute this. I think that Apple equipment is by and large very good. It is how Apple deals with the minority who have problems that I contend could be done better. So yes, this reviewer got one of perhaps a small percentage of bad units, the effort he has had to go through to get what he paid for is not acceptable though and he is not alone in this problem. If other computer manufacturers have similar problems then I say we should hold Apple to a higher standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kokopelli said:
Whether it is Apple's "fault" is not really the subject at hand, and I agree it is a fairly small number who have problems. Take, as an example, the iBook logic board problems. This took a long time for Apple to officially recognize and even now it is a subject more or less swept under the rug. The same can be said for problems with the iMac.

I have had no problems whatsoever with my PowerBook, and many others do not have problems either. I do not dispute this. I think that Apple equipment is by and large very good. It is how Apple deals with the minority who have problems that I contend could be done better. So yes, this reviewer got one of perhaps a small percentage of bad units, the effort he has had to go through to get what he paid for is not acceptable though and he is not alone in this problem. If other computer manufacturers have similar problems then I say we should hold Apple to a higher standard.

Perhaps you failed to notice that Apple also has the highest support and repair satisfaction of any manufacturer? (See the links above.)

Obviously, Apple should never, ever make so much as one defective computer. And so much as one computer should go bad, Apple should provide a free replacement, refund all the customer's money, pay the customer $1000 for his/her trouble. And Steve Jobs should call up and make a personal apology.

Apple meets a higher standard. Like it or not, Apple's quality and support are the best there is. There might be room for improvement, but there's only so much that human beings, working with existing technology, can do. You're talking about an impossible standard, one that no profit-seeking company made up of flawed human beings can ever meet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.