Startup problem OS 10.2 and G4 450 AGP

L

lvinay

Hi,
I was running OS X 10.2 on my G4 450 AGP for about a month with no problem, then it stopped mounting the harddrives. Apple tech support told me to do a clean install, which I did, but now I can not even boot in 10.2, I get a grey screen with a grey apple, and a band of white vertical lines through the middle (then it freezes). I updated the firmware, and took out an aftermarket superdrive (AO5), so everything is original.
I have 896 megs of ram, an 80 gig 7200 ATA harddrive (partitioned and set to slave), the original 20 gig ATA drive (set to master, which is where I am installing 10.2), and a 2 gig SCSI drive (which has 9.2.2 on it). I can install and run 10.0.4 with no problem. I think it is a damaged file on the 10.2 cd, but Apple insists it is a hardware problem, and won't replace the cd. I can't see how it could be a hardware problem if it was running well before. Anythoughts? Thanks, Linda

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you boot to 9.2.2 can you see all disks mounted.

If I am reading this right you have a master disk at 20GB, a slave disk at 80GB and 2GB scsi disk. The only disk you have partitioned is the 80GB disk?

Here is what I am trying to understand. The 20GB disk is where you installed 10.2. Where did you install 10.0.4? Did you do a clean install and in 10.0.4 on the 20GB disk?

What I am looking at is a bad disk drive, I am trying to get an understand of what was loaded where and what worked.

OP
L

lvinay

G4 450 and OS 10.2 problem

Thanks for your response.
When I boot up in 9.2.2 I can see all three disks (the 20 gig, the SCSI, and the 3 partitions of the 80 gig). I did not partition the 20 gig, should I? When I've done the clean install it has been over the 10.0.4 (Apple told me to do this, that I shouldn't leave both systems on incase the conflict is there). Also, I have tried installing 10.2 on a 8 gig partition of the 80 gig drive, keeping 10.0.4 on the 20 gig, but got the same start up problem. This is why I think it is a bad file on the install cd, since no matter which drive or partition I've installed it on, I get the same crash.
Thanks again, Linda

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.