Change the name of a DVD Drive

Reaction score
I bought a new DVD burner, but it has a weird device name on the computer and is really long. Is there a way I could change the DVD Drive name in Snow Leopard so I can get it to say DVD Burner instead of HL-DT-ST BD-RE-GGW-H20L?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure if this will work (it works for an external hard drive).... When your DVD drive mounts on your desktop, click on the name. A red oval background should appear around the name. Now click at the end of the name or anywhere on the name until that red oval background turns to a square colored light red. Type in your new name for the device and press enter.

If it took, the new name will appear and stay that way each time you mount the drive. But like I said above, this works for hard drives since they can be written to, however, a DVD drive can not be written to other than by a firmware update. Give it a try and see what happens.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The name format you are seeing is for the LG range, and that is the name given regardless if in a Mac, HP, Dell etc ~ wonder why they just don't call them LG DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
How did this work for you...? Here's my situation. I'm running leopard on my somewhat dated iMac (PPC chip) and the internal DVD sometimes burps on trying to read a DVD. I have to insert the disk multiple times. Usually after a couple tries I hear a deep grrrrrr sound and the disk mounts. I'm thinking of getting an external, but don't have a clue as to the best bang for the buck, or for that matter what I'm getting into.

Open to suggestions....

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.