Turned off Mac in the middle of "writing files"

Reaction score
First off, I know that what I did was incredibly stupid. Any of you can go ahead and call me names. I would prefer you wouldn't but I have no basis to stand on. However, if you aren't willing to help, please don't just be deprecatory for the sake of it.
I don't know what I've done. When my Macbook (normal, not pro, uses intel core 2 duo. operates on OSx 10.5.8 currently) was "writing files" after a restart for a software update (for safari and for security), it had seemed to have frozen. So, I fiddled with the trackpad, and when that didn't do anything, I pressed the power switch. Well, at that point, the screen turned back on, and there was a little "writing files" bar in the middle of the screen, with the progress at about 32%. Then the mac switched off and rebooted. So far I haven't had any problems, but will I start to have them? And if I do, can I use my Time machine to try and fix it? Please help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's probably not a bad idea at this stage before anything pops up, just to run disk utility, and repair disk permissions....
You will probably see a major list of of permission repairs for safari, but this is normal, and then I'd probably go to apple.com using firefox browser, and re-download safari and the security update that you were downloading again, just as a safeguard.
And no, I won't being calling you names :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Oh... and welcome to mac forums ..... :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Errrr, I don't know what this means, but I'm guessing that this isn't good...
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/nl.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/tr.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/tr.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .

Permissions repair complete

I left out a lot, and most of it looks fine, but I'm a bit concerned about why it's saying there's been a modification to the user login. Or is that normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is common with 10.5.... and to be honest, used to drive me nuts, however, when I updated to Snow leopard 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.2.... I have been left with just the one:
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
However, here is a link to all that can be safely ignored:
Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore
The main thing is to run disk utility and repair permission on a regular basis, and you should be fine.
No need to concern yourself about the error messages unless something goes wrong, and then you will probably find a solution even without trying to decipher what all this jargon is in that list!

So, getting back to it, is your safari working as it should?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, adding to that, no guarantees that this will fix the problem, but it has worked for some!
Downloading and installing the 10.5.8 combo update back to back.
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
So, download it, install it, and then install it again.
Once done, repair permissions twice in a row to see if there's a change in the report.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. Safari's working fine. There seem to be no problems. I'll try the combo update when I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.