Ref: Hard Drive failure......

Reaction score
Ok, Here's a new one......

I have a Macbook pro that is running Snow Leopard and Boot Camp with Vista.

Now it will not boot into anything what so ever EXCEPT Vista Boot camp by holding down alt at Startup.

That's right, Boot camp works PERFECTLY! But NO OS X.

Mac side just keeps restarting over and over and over, but will not do anything but black screen. Will not boot from original cd either.

Took it to Mac store and they ran Diagnostics and determined it is has bad drive sectors.

I do not have anything that I really need so I am going to just purchase a new drive.

Here is my question....

Is there a way with Carbon copy or SuperDuper, that I can backup my current Boot camp image from within Boot camp, or by setting up Target disk mode, and back it up to another mac?

I want to re-install Snow Leopard on a new hard drive, then restore my current boot camp setup.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated......

thanks,
JA (Happy Mac Convert)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can't use SuperDuper or CCC for that purpose, but you can make an image of it with WinClone. Of course, you'll need a functional Mac to run the software on and a way to connect the bare drive to that Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
I see. I thought something may be possible. I have a spare macbook that i can use as a functional mac, then i could either use target mode or pull the drive and hook it to a esata adapter i assume. Will try the target mode first. I will install the new drive and OS, then follow the other threads for restoring boot camp.....

Sound right?

Thanks a million,

Jon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.