Have I maxed out GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I installed 4GB RAM specifically to work in GB. My project roughly has about 60 real/software instruments and it's now occasionally freezing, giving me the "Part of the project could not be played" error. Does this mean I've maxed it out? In Preferences, I have everything set to Automatic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I installed 4GB RAM specifically to work in GB. My project roughly has about 60 real/software instruments and it's now occasionally freezing, giving me the "Part of the project could not be played" error. Does this mean I've maxed it out? In Preferences, I have everything set to Automatic.

RAM wouldn't help out much with that, playing 60+ tracks with their own settings, effects, and EQ (if that applies), you will be using every bit of what your processor has. A 2.2GHz processor will be cooking doing that kind of work, ;) Have you tried locking some of the tracks that do not need to be edited? It will write the tracks to the HD, freeing up the processor.

Also, If you have any other programs (iTunes, Safari, a word processor, Photoshop, etc etc) try closing them. Sometimes when GB gives me that error, I close some programs, and lock a few tracks and it will be just fine after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Try and save/load all your projects to/from an external HD.
Never keep them on the system disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
Also, if you are happy with a few of the instruments, render them (don't know if GB lets you render seperate tracks) and reimport them as audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.