Decent External Monitor for MacBookPro

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a decent external monitor for my mbp.
Price range I have in mind is under $300 (US). I don't want to spend too much money on it because I'm not a graphic designer or anything. I'm just a physics major, after all.

Can you guys recommend me some of the good monitors?
I haven't researched much but HP and Samsung seem pretty good. (maybe because I like those two brands..)

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're really using a mixture of terms. You're saying "decent", "good", and "don't want to spend too much money".

It's sort of like saying, "I want a Mac Pro at a Mac Mini price!"

I think that if you're not looking for anything fancy...something under $200 should be just fine. Of course you never mentioned what size monitor you're considering...and that can make a BIG difference as well.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nick, and sorry for being confusing and not being specific at all.
Please excuse me it's my first time posting this forum.

Yes, you're right. I don't want anything fancy, such as Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel) which is around $900.

Size wise, I'm thinking between 19" and 22"

I don't know much about monitors; resolutions and such. But I do want to have a good quality monitor in my price range.

Just for an example, this is one of the monitors I'm considering.

Amazon.com: HP 2159M 21.5-Inch HD LCD Monitor: Electronics

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, you're right. I don't want anything fancy, such as Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel) which is around $900.

Size wise, I'm thinking between 19" and 22"

I don't know much about monitors; resolutions and such. But I do want to have a good quality monitor in my price range.

Honestly...I have used low cost "no-name" LCD monitors...and "Better" HP & Samsung monitors...and for general everyday use it doesn't really seem to matter...they all look great for this purpose.

So I would just say find a monitor that works for you (cost, size, etc.)...and get it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I had a Samsung 23" monitor that crapped out on me about 8 months (or was it a year, don't think it was under warrantee) but it was a good monitor while it was working. I replaced it with an Acer that I bought to function as a TV/DVD/Digimedia center but when the samsung died it turned out to be a really nice monitor.

Not quite as nice (if larger) than my MBP's own 13" screen, but almost. Was cheap too at about $120 at BJ's.

Sorry dear, I'll get you a real TV for the bedroom later. For now daddy needs a widescreen external for his home office. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.