Good Freeware FTP for Mac

Reaction score
Hello. I've been using Fetch for MAC since 2002. But, my copy is very old and doesn't work well in Leopard. The company I work for doesn't want to purchase an update, so I'm stuck trying to find freeware.

Can anybody recommend good FTP Freeware for MAC? I'm looking for something that works as well as Fetch. I don't want to end up with more problems by going the cheap route. I may have not been given a budget, but I'm still responsible for the work.

Thanks in advance.

T

todd51

As far as free goes, I know Cyberduck usually wins in that category for most people. There is also one called Fugu, but it's not near as popular as Cyberduck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't know much about Fetch, but CyberDuck works well for me.

OP
K
Reaction score
I worked with Cyberduck all day yesterday. Not impressed. It seems to work fine with small files and with a small number of files. But anytime I tried to upload entire folders it just seems to crap out mid way. It also gets stuck over and over again when I ask it to replace directories that have the same name.

I couldn't get my work finished yesterday thanks to that.

So, today I'm trying out Filezilla. It's busy uploading at the moment. Let's see how it goes. -D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had issues uploading whole folders with Cyberduck to my website. Not sure what is going on with it on your end. Let us know if Filezilla works or does the same thing.

I would have recommended Transmit to you but you said Freeware and Transmit costs $$$.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have never had issues uploading whole folders with Cyberduck to my website. Not sure what is going on with it on your end. Let us know if Filezilla works or does the same thing.

I would have recommended Transmit to you but you said Freeware and Transmit costs $$$.

Ditto here. And I've transferred huge files with it. I'm really shocked.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just uploaded all the files I needed to upload using Filezilla. It uploaded everything in one shot. I gave me an error message, but while it was disconnecting. In other words, after it was done with the files. All the files are online and everything seems to work well. So... I'm happy.

I'm still keeping Cyberduck for a bit and I'll give it another chance later. We'll see.

Thanks, Danny

T

todd51

If you do decide to spend some money for a FTP program, I vote for Transmit like dtravis7 had mentioned. I think it's the best one available for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.