Question about menu bar icon

Reaction score
Can anyone identify for me what an icon in my menu bar is for?

The icon in question is the one that appears to resemble the at&t raising the bar logo, the 5 bars that get taller and taller from left to right.

I cannot for the life of my figure out what it is supposed to do, it is always grayed out and when i click it says it is initializing.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sorry i meant to include a screenshot, the icon in question is the second from the left.

thanks!

Screen shot 2009-11-12 at 11.01.36 AM.png

Reaction score
It is probably something you installed recently. What happens when you rick click on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Do you have a wireless access service other than Airport? For instance, a USB modem? As you said, it does look like a "bars of service" indicator. I've also seen that type icon used as a VU meter in audio apps. Check your Login Items and "Other" section in System Preferences for clues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I have no idea what that is. I looked all through System Preferences and couldn't find anything that adds that kind of menu extra, although it looks like it would have something to do with some sort of modem or something. Like others are saying above, check anything you installed recently.

Regardless, if you want to remove it (or any other menu extra), you can just hold the Command key and drag it out of the menu bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Couldn't find it in System/Library/Core Services either, so it's not something that comes with Leopard.

Mac Mini
OS 10.5.8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.