Image paste problem in PowerPoint/Word

Reaction score
Hi, afraid I am a new Mac user but will try my best to provide necessary details.

Whenever I try to copy + paste an image from the net into my Powerpoint, it simply pastes the URL. I have just tried this in Word and the same thing happens. This is a big problem as I need to put together presentations that draw on multiple internet images, and saving the files before copying them will be overly laborious. I would really appreciate someone's help in letting me know what's going wrong!

I am using a 2 month old MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. I have MS Powerpoint 12.1 for Mac. I'd be very grateful for any advice - please let me know if more info is needed to solve this.

Thanks
Beggsy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
If you're using the contextual ("right-click") menu to copy the files, make sure you're choosing Copy Image and not Copy Image Address. The latter will copy the image URL, just as you said.

As an alternative, as long as the image is not a link you can simply click and drag it into PowerPoint directly. If the PowerPoint window is hidden, drag the image to the PowerPoint icon in the Dock and wait for Exposé to show all open PowerPoint documents and then hold the image over the right document until it comes forward, at which point you can release the mouse button. It sounds like a complex process, but it makes a whole lot of sense once you do it.

OP
B
Reaction score
If you're using the contextual ("right-click") menu to copy the files, make sure you're choosing Copy Image and not Copy Image Address. The latter will copy the image URL, just as you said.

As an alternative, as long as the image is not a link you can simply click and drag it into PowerPoint directly. If the PowerPoint window is hidden, drag the image to the PowerPoint icon in the Dock and wait for Exposé to show all open PowerPoint documents and then hold the image over the right document until it comes forward, at which point you can release the mouse button. It sounds like a complex process, but it makes a whole lot of sense once you do it.

Thanks but I've tried all that. This is not a problem of me choosing the wrong options. Nor is it as simple as carrying out the copy and paste by a slightly different route - ie. your suggestion of dropping the image in to Ppt directly - that does not work either. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you mind sharing a link to a specific Web site and/or image that's giving you this issue?

OP
B
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing a link to a specific Web site and/or image that's giving you this issue?

I don't mean to sound flippant but choose literally any image on google image - I have tried dozens over the past 3 Ppt sessions.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still not able to reproduce your problem… The only other thing I can think of is that you might not have the latest version; perhaps that's a glitch in an older version. Try checking for updates (the option is inexplicably located in the Help menu). You mentioned that you have 12.1, and I believe the most recent version is 12.2.3. I hope that sorts it out for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm still not able to reproduce your problem… The only other thing I can think of is that you might not have the latest version; perhaps that's a glitch in an older version. Try checking for updates (the option is inexplicably located in the Help menu). You mentioned that you have 12.1, and I believe the most recent version is 12.2.3. I hope that sorts it out for you.

I got the update - and it worked! Thanks for persisting with the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,
b

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.