HandBrake Question

Reaction score
Last night I encoded a 180 MB video using Handbrake on my 13" MBP. It was my first time encoding a video and I'm just wondering if it's normal for the cpu to be at 100%? This caused my fan to spin up to 3000RPM and cpu temperature to skyrocket to around 95 degrees celcious. I was just wondering if this was all normal. Oh and one last thing, i'm getting around 45fps according to handbrake. Is that the average? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Last night I encoded a 180 MB video using Handbrake on my 13" MBP. It was my first time encoding a video and I'm just wondering if it's normal for the cpu to be at 100%? This caused my fan to spin up to 3000RPM and cpu temperature to skyrocket to around 95 degrees celcious. I was just wondering if this was all normal. Oh and one last thing, i'm getting around 45fps according to handbrake. Is that the average? Thanks.

Handbrake will make the machine go crazy, does it here too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
reencoding video is extremely processor intensive...

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea, encoding a video will use up 100% of my cpu pretty much. But should the temperature of the cpu reach 100 degrees celcius? It took a while for the fans to kick up but once they did, it dropped to 92-94....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yea, encoding a video will use up 100% of my cpu pretty much. But should the temperature of the cpu reach 100 degrees celcius? It took a while for the fans to kick up but once they did, it dropped to 92-94....

I'm not sure why people feel the need to obsess over temperatures and fan speeds. Your computer (and all modern computers) has a built-in Systems Management Controller (SMC) that will automatically engage the fans and adjust the speeds as necessary. Yes, modern notebooks run hot when doing processor-intensive tasks.

These programs are more geared toward people who are overclocking their systems to run outside of normal specs. In those cases, it is necessary to "second guess" what the SMC is doing because it's not being run within tolerances. The principle is very similar to someone who performs extensive engine modifications in a car - custom ECU programing is often needed to keep the engine running properly.

My advice would be to turn off the monitoring and enjoy your machine and stop worrying about this kind of stuff. If there was any kind of a problem, your computer would shut itself down (fail safes are built directly into the chips themselves).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
95C is nothing. My iMac gets up to 120C sometimes when I start doing alot. But like CWA said, don't worry about it, the computer knows what it's doing.

Reaction score
My graphics processor over heated a couple of months ago and needed to be replaced by apple since without I had a completely black screen. I trusted my mac to look after temperatures by itself, but I don't any more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My graphics processor over heated a couple of months ago and needed to be replaced by apple since without I had a completely black screen. I trusted my mac to look after temperatures by itself, but I don't any more.

Let me guess, you're using a MacBook Pro with an 8600M GPU? If so, that is a known issue and will happen regardless of how hot your machine gets.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CWA, that was an Nvidia chipset issue and could affect any machine with that NVidia GPU and not just macs. Again Apple gets blamed for a hardware item that many others use and someone else makes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.