Can't install eMac OS 10.3 on a Power Mac

B

bleujaegel

I was under the impression that you can install the eMac version of OS 10.3 on a Power Mac G3. I bought the discs on ebay. It is a 2 disc set (DVD). On disk 1 it says 'eMac software install and restore 1 of 2'. And yes I do have a DVD player. I have an OS 10.1 disk that boots up fine when I press C, however the eMac just ejects after a minute as if it's not bootable. Is it a requirement to have an eMac to install the eMac version of OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Is this a Beige G3 or a Blue and White?

OP
B

Badger

Installer disks that are produced for specific models usually will not work for other models. You'll need the retail version or the disks for the G3 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Badger said:
Installer disks that are produced for specific models usually will not work for other models. You'll need the retail version or the disks for the G3 model.
true, it also depends on hardware compatibility, like if you had a superdrive on that g3, it would probably work. those discs are dvd's, not cd's, so you need at least a dvd rom or combo drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
He stated that he has a "DVD player", so I assume he meant a DVD drive. Also, the fact that it's a disk from an eMac shouldn't necessarily be a problem. After I installed Panther on my iBook, I used the iBook Software Restore disks to install Jaguar on my Beige G3. I'm still curious if the machine is a Beige G3, because if it is, the problem is that XPostFacto is needed for the installation. If it's a B&W, the problem lies elsewhere.

OP
B

bleujaegel

It's the translucent blue and clear. I guess that's AKA blue and white. Am I wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, thats the blue and white. I believe something meant for a newer g4 will search for newer things that it needs to install, and when it doesn't find them, it ejects. what os are you currently running? is your firmware up to date?

OP
B

bleujaegel

Turns out, it doesn't have a DVD player. I bought the G3 on eBay. It was advertised as having a DVD player, but I just took it apart, and of course it's only a CD-Rom. I bought the OS X disk on eBay because this supposedly had a DVD player. I should have known better. The same idiots I bought the Mac from also advertised it as having a SCSI drive, but came with an IDE. Guess I'll have to buy a DVD player. Sorry for wasting your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that sucks, but its cool, its not a waste of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.