UNIX command to find out process hook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hi all, I have a file in the trash that Finder claims is in use by some process so it won't completely empty it. I think it's part of a printer driver that I installed in a vain attempt to get my Mac Mini to talk to my wife's Windows-shared printer on the network, but when it didn't work I trashed what I had downloaded. Apparently it started some service somewhere.

Anyway, under Linux and many other UNIXen that I'm familiar with there is a command - fuser - which will identify the process ID that has a file open or a hook in one. This command appears to be unknown to OS X (whaddya mean SysV isn't the be-all and end all of all that which is UNIX?) so does anyone know what an equivalent command might be on OS X? I'm sure there's something graphical in one of the monitoring utilities, but I'm a command line savvy kind of guy and knowing more about all the commands at my disposal in Terminal is always handy.

Step two - find out what is getting launched at startup, but that's another thread once I exhaust all other avenues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.