How to set up a VPN to my home?

Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe I do not necessarily need a VPN, maybe I can tell you my problem and someone has experienced this.

I moved to Thailand, and used to download things with a bit-torrent downloader called "transmission" and now that I am in Thailand, I think my internet is not letting me download it. I cannot open the webpages that have the torrents on them, nor can I use my Netflix, Pandora, or any of that stuff anymore... I did download a thing called "Tor" which changes my IP but it normally makes me appear in Europe and still will not download, nor register I am on a mac. It fails to load shows on NBC, Netflix...

I was thinking if I set up a VPN with my network back home in Seattle, Washington I could use that IP to access all this stuff?

Does anyone know any websites that are good for explaining this, or know how to fix my problem? I am missing watching The Office!!

Thanks!

Zach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You would want to setup SSH tunneling.

Enable SSH on the Seattle Mac. Install SHH Tunnel Manager on the Thailand Mac.

Create tunnels for the traffic you want to originate from WA.

Setting up SSH on a non standard port also may benefit you since your ISP may also block port 22 (which is SSH). I use 443 to tunnel SSH over since 443 is usually open for everything.

Google it!

OP
Z
Reaction score
I guess that was another problem of mine, I do not have a MAC back in Seattle just the Verizon Fios (router + modem). Will i need a computer to be on full time to run SSH?

I don't have a computer at home I can leave on, but I could get someone to set it up for me who is there, but they would be using Windows 7 on a PC

Thanks for the reply!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, you will need a PC in Seattle up and running to be able to connect to and then head out from there..

Regards

OP
Z
Reaction score
Sorry, there is some confusion on my end... Do I need a PC that is on, and connected 24/7 in Seattle to use this, or do I just need to connect the PC and set it up, then the network will be set up if I turn off the PC.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you don't want to leave the PC on all the time ( and you'll have to to make this work without any other changes) you can use a router that is running DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato or other custom firmware and run OpenVPN on there so that you can access it from Thailand and then once you're on the router's VPN, you can possibly access the Internet that way..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.