What Version of Windows To Get?

Reaction score
Here is my computer: Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld

I've read somewhere that you strictly need Windows Xp Service Pack 2 32-bit.
Is that true?

I've had Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed on this Mac before, and it had nothing but problems. I couldn't get sound, even though the settings and everything said it was enabled and working, and etc. But, more importantly, games would run bad on it.
I got Diablo 2 running (256 color game) on it, but the colors were terribly messed up. I'm wondering if this problem was due to the fact my Windows copy wasn't genuine (it was a copy of Windows that came with my mom's computer), if it was because that version was 64-bit, or if it was from my drivers.

I've got the AppleIntelGMAX3100 video drivers, and they won't let me run Diablo 2 on my Mac side. On Windows, it'll let me run it, but it looks bad.

So, yeah.
Can somebody tell me what Windows version I should get, and what those problems were from? If those problems were from my drivers, then I don't want to waste money on buying a Windows disk.

Many thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Here is my computer: Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld

I've read somewhere that you strictly need Windows Xp Service Pack 2 32-bit.
Is that true?

I've had Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed on this Mac before, and it had nothing but problems. I couldn't get sound, even though the settings and everything said it was enabled and working, and etc. But, more importantly, games would run bad on it.
I got Diablo 2 running (256 color game) on it, but the colors were terribly messed up. I'm wondering if this problem was due to the fact my Windows copy wasn't genuine (it was a copy of Windows that came with my mom's computer), if it was because that version was 64-bit, or if it was from my drivers.

I've got the AppleIntelGMAX3100 video drivers, and they won't let me run Diablo 2 on my Mac side. On Windows, it'll let me run it, but it looks bad.

So, yeah.
Can somebody tell me what Windows version I should get, and what those problems were from? If those problems were from my drivers, then I don't want to waste money on buying a Windows disk.

Many thanks.

Along with that, I also came across this while reading the Boot Camp instructions: "Do not use an upgrade version of Windows
and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2."

Does that first sentence mean to just not use any version of Windows that is later than SP2?
Also, am I allowed to install updates when I download Windows?

I'd also like to mention something about the discoloration on Diablo 2 that I mentioned above. When I put in my Leopard disks to update the drivers on Vista, it wouldn't do anything at all. I even tried to open it from My Computer, and it still wouldn't do anything. Could that be the result of the discoloration and sound not working?

However, I did go to the Intel site and upgraded my drivers from there. Not sure if that does anything, but I just figured I'd mention it.

But, could that also be because the copy was 64-bit, or because it wasn't genuine?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I gotta give you two thumbs up for being persistent!;)...this is at least your 3rd thread trying to figure out your Diablo 2 problem.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I gotta give you two thumbs up for being persistent!;)...this is at least your 3rd thread trying to figure out your Diablo 2 problem.

Good luck,

- Nick

Rofl. Thank you. I didn't mean to make so many threads, but each idea belonged in a different category.

Thanks for your help in the other threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Have you tried installing Windows via Bootcamp, and then updating the video and sound drivers? I've read that sometimes a simple driver update or downgrade can fix this sort of thing. Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you tried installing Windows via Bootcamp, and then updating the video and sound drivers? I've read that sometimes a simple driver update or downgrade can fix this sort of thing. Good luck!

It wouldn't update anything when I put in my Leopard CDs. So, I tried to update all of my drivers from the Intel site. Though, I'm not sure if that does the same thing. I'd assume not, since I was upgrading drivers for 64-bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the Leo DVD gets it running. After that you probably want to update from Intel or try Google for some tweaked drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XP SP2 is 32 bit. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a 64 variant, though I could be wrong.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried. He just doesn't respond.
Well, he hasn't responded in 2 days, and I don't want to wait any longer.

If you check the seller's history...he has these things available all the time...so there's no rush to buy.

And remember...the Windows software may or may not fix the Diablo 2 problem.

Buy the $40-$50 dollar Powermac G4 I suggested in your other thread...and Diablo 2 will run great...guaranteed!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.