Question regarding Loading Disc Media

Reaction score
Well, this is my first post here. I've have a really basic question regarding my macbook. I know the answer has to be extremely simple, but I can't figure it out.

First off my optical drive works fine. If I put in disc, it mounts and works as intended. Now to the problem.

Lets say I close my macbook (so it goes into some type of sleep mode). Sometimes I'll disc into the optical drive as I'm opening the lid (thus the unit is coming out of the sleep mode), the drive accepts the disc but the OS doesn't mount it and it acts as if there is no disc in the unit. If I wait for the OS to come out of sleep mode before I put the disc in, it works fine; however, I sometimes forget and put the disc in to soon and thus it acts as if there is no disc...

The only way I know to get the macbook to recognize that a disc is in it is to restart the OS. Is there a less dramatic way to get the OS to see the disc?

By the way, I'm obviously not a mac guru (purchased my first mac less than a year ago, and I'm still trying to get used to the change), so please pardon my ignorance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
So the eject button or command E aren't working to eject it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.