install mac osx tiger on a mac book with a deleted hard drive.

Reaction score
Hello-
I am having a problem downloading/installing mac osx Tiger onto a laptop.
The hard drive was deleted with a Panther install disc. We now have a osx Tiger and am trying to install it.

The screen has a folder with a question icon on it. This is all it does.
We tried starting the laptop with the disc inside it and after turning the laptop on.

Any help will be a life saver as I are not well versed in the world of mac.

Reaction score
Hello-
I am having a problem downloading/installing mac osx Tiger onto a laptop.
The hard drive was deleted with a Panther install disc. We now have a osx Tiger and am trying to install it.

The screen has a folder with a question icon on it. This is all it does.
We tried starting the laptop with the disc inside it and after turning the laptop on.

Any help will be a life saver as I are not well versed in the world of mac.
Does your Tiger install disc have a Black label on it, in other words, is it a retail disc?
If the label is grey, then the disc is a restore disc for a specific computer model, and will only install on that computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Downloading Tiger will not work and is illegal!

You need to purchase a full retail install version of Tiger OS X.4, which is a black coloured disc. Do NOT buy the silver grey model specific versions which abound on auction sites such as eBay. Expect to pay in the region of US$100.00.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.