Not one positive Snow Leopard install experience... But TWO !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I bought Snow Leopard before it came out, so it arrived about a day or so after it officially hit the stores. I held off on installing it on either of my MacBook Pros simply because I did not trust it at the time, and wanted to see how many problems there would be. I'm pretty cautious like that. I read yesterday that people were using Lightroom and CS4 with no problems, and that was the final straw. I had to get it on ! (Heat anyone ?)

Let me start by saying that I had no intention to do a simple upgrade from Leopard. I'm a clean install kind of fellah. Heck, back in the day I was even an "F-disk" kind of guy too. And boy did that f-disk command get used often !

The first MBP up was the 2008 15" which I gave to my wife. (which I think I regret) I also decided to go with the more secure erase route and chose the "zero over" method, rather than even just the simple erase mode. This took about 20-25 minutes and then it was install time.
Not much to say after this. Install took another 20-25 minutes and things were up and running without a hitch.

Second MacBook Pro up: My new 13" Unibody. (which I think I'd rather my wife have because I LOATHE the glossy screen. And even with the iVisor screen from Moshi on it, it's still not as good as a regular matte screen. Plus the 15" has 4 gigs of RAM and this one is the base 13" model. Aaaanyhoo...

Rinse and repeat verbatim. Not a single problem. Both machines have gone through the software updates and everything is up to snuff. T'was a treat really.

Now, I have a couple of questions. During the first upgrade/install, I did not notice something that I noticed during the second, which was the custom install option. During that process, I was able to eliminate a bunch of languages which I'd never use. Most of them took up about 70-75 MB of space. I want to know where those things are in the Library folder on the other MBP so I can get rid of those, too.

Also, it seems that there are still many languages supported for other applications, as seen in the language & Text preferences section. How can I get rid of these ? Lastly, are there any other things that anyone can suggest getting rid of to free up space ?

That's it I guess. Just wanted to share my POSITIVE Snow Leopard install experience with you all.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well thanks for that. It's good to read about good experiences. I installed Snow Leopard the day it came out (i pre-ordered and received on the release date). I don't waste my time erasing my drive first, just upgraded from 10.5.8. Took 10 minutes to do the initial install thing before the reboot, and then another 20-25 minutes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well thanks for that. It's good to read about good experiences.

I agree!:)...it's always too easy for folks to post about negative experiences...it's also good to hear about positive ones!.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.