Security keeps crashing system preferences in snow leopard.

Reaction score
Hi All, I am using Snow Leopard, I just got a new macbook. Each time I try to load my security in System Preferences I get this error info below and it crashes System Preferences. It says "Loading" for a while then crashes. I have repaired permissions but nothing helps.:Shouting: :eek: :Oops:
_A
see attachment, the crash report was too long to list.

errorreport.jpg

Reaction score
Did you already have SL installed when you got the MBP or did you have to upgrade it yourself?

Reaction score
To be honest what I would do is backup all your important stuff using Time Machine onto an external drive, and Zero out the hard disk and re install Snow Leopard. Its possible that the upgrade may have corrupted something.

OP
A
Reaction score
oh man... okay well thanks for telling me. I guess thats what im doing all day tomorrow. thanks.

OP
A
Reaction score
well, no go, but i erased the HD, does it really need to be zeroed out? still security just continues to load, but goes nowhere.

OP
A
Reaction score
Still failed!

Hi All, I have now tried zeroing out the drive, and clean-installing leopard. It still is crashing in the same way. Any new ideas? :(

Ps/ adobe photoshop suddenly gave an error when it crashed last time....but thats only once in 10 trials to load security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Before restoring after clean install, did you try then?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, I have done one normal re-install, then i did another one. Finally I did the zeroing out the drive completely and then did the clean install. However its still happening.

One thing, every time I used migration assistant to move the data back on....

Also I have noticed that my Apple Mail has some funky things happening when I apply "rules." If I bounce one message in a rule, all messages start bouncing. Anyhow, the main thing is the security settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No, I mean before moving anything back, just doing a clean install....
Erase disk, and then continue installation from Snow Leopard DVD, and then try setting your security.

OP
A
Reaction score
ah, no..... I did not.... now I am on the road for a month, so I will have to try that when i get back. I will do so and let you know! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon | 3GB RAMM | OSX10.6 | Adobe CS4
Hi, I don't know if this problem was ever resolved for you. But I have just had the exact same issue. On my Mac running OS X 10.6.4 I could not open the security pane in the system preferences. It either sat there 'loading' or crashed the system preference panel.

However, I did find a fix which worked for me.

Using Font Book I searched for duplicate fonts and actually removed (not disabled) any duplicates. I then validated the remaining fonts in my font library. I then 'removed' the fonts that showed as having errors. I left the fonts with minor problems. I found I could then open the security pane in the system preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.