• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

uprezzing SD into HD in FCE?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have shot a video in 720x576 which I'd like to upscale to 1440x1880.
Is it possible to do that? What are the alternatives?
I have found mixed information on the net and I really would like some urgent advice as it is for a client and deadline is approaching...The video is for the web and I edit in FC Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You should be able to - create a sequence that's the rez you want it to be at and drop in your footage - if it doesn't fill the frame they way you want, then expand it out to the frame edges. Just make sure to not let FCE resize the sequence settings to match the footage, otherwise it'll reset it back down to the video source size.

Other options include using mpegstreamclip to upscale it to the appropriate resolution.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply.
By following your advice, wouldn't it mean just changing the frame size? What I need is to improve the resolution into a HD video.
I have heard about a software called Red Giant instant HD. Is that any good?

Tks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
When you have a sequence that is an HD settings - 1440x1080 in your case, then you place the footage on the sequence, and stretch the footage to fit in the new frame size, you're resizing the footage to the new HD frame size. The quality of the output will depend on several factors, including how well the conversion process used by FCE can handle upsizing, and the quality of the source footage (ie: if the source looks like crap, an HD upscale will look like very large crap).

Other tools, specialized tools for scaling video will most likely provide higher quality results, as I feel pretty confident that FCE will have very few controls over the algorithms used in the upscaling. But, as you're I'm sure on a budget, and on a time crunch, using FCE or using mpegstreamclip are probably your 2 most convenient options.

Also, I can't directly comment on how well the final output will be as I never go up, only down when I resize my footage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
since its for the web, you can get away with upscaling SD to HD. Compression will take care of any artifacting upscaling will produce.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.