Question about Factory Unlocked iPhones

Reaction score
Hey all

just wondering if someone can help me figure out something about the factory unlocked iPhones. from what i have seen, certain countries (Hong Kong, Australia etc.) sell factory unlocked iPhones. when i went to Australia's apple online store, in the small print, they state that the iPhones can be used with any sim card, and to achieve this, just put it in and activate via iTunes.

Now, i understand it being able to utilize any sim card, but my question is if it is possible for me to buy the unlocked iPhone in Australia and take it back with me to Thailand and use it there with my current sim card provider. is this possible, to be able to use a foreign sim card with the Australian factory unlocked iPhone? it may seem obvious, but i just want to check and make sure. it is not something you want to dismiss or take for granted.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me :D
avander

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
i believe that you could do that, however if it didn't work there is always the jailbreak option!!

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey Zigdog

Thanks

i have been doing the jailbreaking and unlocking on a 2G iphone.... it was fun in the beginning, but i am rather looking for a more stable option that will not need to be unlocked. that is why i am looking at the factory unlocked iPhones

thanks for your quick response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have a factory unlocked iPhone from Australia. just like the site says you insert your simcard and your good togo. I just restored mine the other night, Once it's done restoring it unlocks the phone. I'm using mine with Tmobile USA.

here is a pic.
2lkcthc.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks bargsbeer.

ok, great, that is the best type of confirmation i could have received, thanks for that, and the pic. i really appreciate it. at least now i know it can be used as to how i imagined it.

awesome
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Sweet, thanks bargsbeer.

ok, great, that is the best type of confirmation i could have received, thanks for that, and the pic. i really appreciate it. at least now i know it can be used as to how i imagined it.

awesome
thanks

no problem, I was little too when I got mine, Rest assured you never have to worry about unlocks or jailbreaks ever again. I got mine on Ebay Australia there pricey but worth the extra cash if you need it unlocked.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what i am hoping for, and what i was aiming for, no more unlocks. I may still want to jailbreak because of some of the utilities offered by cydia, but otherwise, a hassle free phone would be great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.