What Hardware Do I Need?

Reaction score
What hardware do I need to change these drivers that I have so that I can use new applications, and also older applications (such as D2)?
Not sure if they're video card drivers or what, but they're AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers. They don't support 256 color or something.
I'm on Leopard at the moment, and was wondering if upgrading to Snow Leopard would change the drivers to do what I want, or if I would have to buy something else.

If you need more info on my computer, let me know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Drivers are software that are usually hardware specific. In other words, you need the specific driver for your exact hardware. It's always a good idea to check the manufacturers website for driver updates, and use the latest drivers.

All video drivers I know about are backwards compatible, that is, they will run older video apps just fine. Problems occur when your hardware or drivers are too old, and you are trying to run newer apps. Then you must upgrade one or both depending on the situation.

As a rule of thumb, it's always better to max out on RAM before upgrading other hardware. That alone may giver your video performance the boost it needs. If you go for a new video card, make darn sure you're getting one that is compatible with your machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question? The Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chipset supports Hi-Color. Drivers are included with both Leopard and Snow Leopard for OS X and even Windows (if you should decide to install Windows using Boot Camp).

What applications are you going to install that you think you will need updated drivers for?

Regards.

I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm trying to run Diablo 2. There is a problem with the GMAX3100s running things that run on 256 color, so I can't open Diablo 2 after I install it.

If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
If a solution cannot be found...a simple answer to this problem is purchase a $50 dollar Powermac G4 (or an old iBook) computer to run Diablo 2.

As I mentioned in your other thread...trying to run a 10 year-old game on newer computer hardware can lead to problems or incompatibilities.

- Nick

There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There isn't a video card or something I could buy that will work with everything?

You have got to be kidding...right?? Buy one video card that works with everything!!!...including 10 year old games!

I'm assuming you are working from a newer Mac laptop (I forget since you didn't mention it in this thread).

If that's the case...you cannot modify, change, or upgrade the video hardware in a Macintosh laptop or iMac.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.