Help! Upgrading the hardware on my iMac mid 2006 white

Reaction score
Hi! I'm about to graduate college, and I'm upgrading my iMac from a student computer to a web/media development professional beast!machine. I need some advice:

Like I said, I have a white mid 2006 white iMac 9L31a. I'm looking to upgrade from two displays to three, and I'm looking to upgrade my processing power. The graphics card doesn't have to be too fancy--it's just to run the third display. Any recommendations on what I need? Any how to's, walkthroughs or step by step guides? Will it be as simple as installing a driver for the new graphics card, that'll be compatible with Leopard, or do I have to install some third-party software to make the third monitor compatible?

My current graphics card:
ATI Radeon X1600:
Chipset Model: ATY, RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-139
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.139

My Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes

Two Samsung SyncMaster 910 MP's:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off (-----------------------------------It's weird, mirroring IS on.)
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

As for the ram, it needs to be a substantial increase. I don't game or anything, but I run a virtual machine (Win 7) through Parallels and I would like to have enough ram to run an adobe program, bento, my mail client, browser, and itunes on my mac, while having processes running smoothly in Win 7 in the background, and transition back and forth from one virtual machine to another without as much of a hitch.

I'm not quite sure of what goes into upgrading my iMac's processing power, so any help here would be hot. Thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds to me like you're in the market for a Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.