Minimum size partition possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz, 15.4", 250G HD, OSX SL and Windows7
I am loving my new MBP but for my engineering program at university I require windows to run programs such as AutoCad, Solid Edge, and C# Visual Studios. what is a good and/or minimum partition size need? Any info would be great. I plan on using bootcamp and installing the 64bit Windows 7.

cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What size is the hard drive on your MBP? The programs you mentioned that you wish to run in Windows require quite a bit of HDD space.

Microsoft recommends 16 GB available space for installing the 64 X version of Windows 7. You can add that to whatever space the programs you need to install require. Also note: Apple will not officially support Windows 7 until sometime in December although most drivers on the Snow Leopard DVD will work OK. The latest version of Boot Camp which is included with Snow Leopard is 3.0 and "officially" only supports XP and Vista.

Normally I would advise you to install the 32 X version of Windows 7, but I'm betting that you want to be able to utilize as much memory as possible for AutoCad and the other programs you mentioned. The 32 X version Windows 7 will only see and use 3.3 GB of memory whereas the sky's the limit with the 64 X version.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz, 15.4", 250G HD, OSX SL and Windows7
My MBP has a 250GB HDD so i have quite a bit of room. Thanks for the info I will give the partition 35GB which is plenty for the programs and windows. thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.