Time Machine Problem, Disk Utility Problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I've had a problem with my Time Machine backup for just over a month now. It was stuff in some sort of backing up state (not "Processing" like I see a lot when I google this problem). Every time I plugged it in and tried to do something, my Finder proceeded to completely freeze up and I was forced to shut my computer down.

Tonight, after downloading the latest Snow Leopard update, I decided to give it a shot again and it didn't work, crashing my Finder as usual. I want to make sure I have a back up so I decided that it would be worth it to use Disk Utility to erase my external hard drive and start from scratch, but that didn't work. Disk Utility won't let me erase the hard drive for one of two reasons, either there is an input/output problem, or it can't allocate enough memory.

Is my external HD completely corrupt? Something seems to be terribly wrong and I'd really like to get a backup going here. I feel so uneasy not having all of my music and photos on another drive. Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Best,
Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
What happens if you go to MenuBar and click on Time Machine icon and select 'Enter Time Machine'?

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I have the drive plugged in and I enter Time Machine, it brings me back to my last update which is October 9. But, that may now be corrupt since I tried to erase the drive a few hours ago, although I did fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My guess is that in trying to erase the HD means Time Machine is looking for something which it cannot find. Best bet may be to do a complete erase and start over again with new set up and back up.

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I would love to do that actually. But Disk Utility will not allow me too. I'm having trouble there as well. It seems the drive just isn't right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.