Automator: Closing Application

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how to get Automator to close an application at a scheduled time.

How would I go about doing that?

Kind regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I'm not sure how you could do that with Automator alone, but if you combine it with iCal, it isn't hard. Here's what to do:

1. Open Automator and choose the Application template for your new project.
2. Use the search box to find the Quit Application action. Add it to your project and select the application you want to quit from the pop-up menu.
3. Save the project wherever you want—just remember where—and quit Automator.
4. Open up iCal and double-click on the day you want to close the application (or the day you want to begin closing it if you plan on repeating it).
5. In the New Event pop-up, choose when you want the application to close for the from option and whether and how often you want it to repeat.
6. For the alarm option, choose Open File. This will add a few more options. Click the next alarm option and choose Other… and navigate to the file you created in Automator. Finally, choose how many minutes before or after the from date you want the application to quit.
7. Configure anything else you want here and then click done. When the time you choose rolls around, it should quit the application for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nabi,

Thanks heaps for the suggestion.

Everything worked except for when Automator opens up, it does not actually perform the "Quit Application" because i have not pressed the Play function.

All iCal did was to open the file but Automator never shut down the application.

Kind regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
You can export the automator script as an application. That way, you don't have to hit anything, it just starts when scheduled, completes it's task, and quits:)

Reaction score
I'm trying to get automator to quit an application for me at a specific time everyday. I've saved the workflow as an application, and tried to schedule it to run via iCal, as in setting the alarm as "open file" and choosing my application. However, it isn't working...what am I doing wrong? :(

Thanks in advance!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of the OS do you have? The process of doing this has changed a bit from the first version of Automator to now.

If you are running Snow Leopard launch Automator and choose to create an iCal alarm. I believe it takes care of most of the process for you when it is time to create the alarm.

Reaction score
But What if....

The application is not open?

How do I CHECK to see if it's open first...if so...quit the automator app at that point in the process?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The application is not open?

How do I CHECK to see if it's open first...if so...quit the automator app at that point in the process?

Can you explain a bit more? Are you trying to check to see if a third party app is running or trying to check to see if an app that you built using Automator is running? The more you can tell us about what you're trying to do the better our answers may be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.