Does Diablo 2 Run On Snow Leopard?

OP
M
Reaction score
So, my drivers and integrated gfx card won't stop the game from opening? I mean, I was always able to download it, but I could never open it. It quits unexpectedly, and people say this is because of the drivers from Leopard or something along those lines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, my drivers and integrated gfx card won't stop the game from opening? I mean, I was always able to download it, but I could never open it. It quits unexpectedly, and people say this is because of the drivers from Leopard or something along those lines.

Be careful with your terminology! In your original post you were concerned about Snow Leopard compatibility (OS 10.6)...now in your post above you mentioned "Leopard" (OS 10.5).

Beyond this...I don't really understand what you're talking about above.

Your original question was about was Diablo 2 compatible with OS 10.6. That question was already answered...Diablo 2 is compatible with Snow Leopard according to the Snow Leopard compatibility list.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Be careful with your terminology! In your original post you were concerned about Snow Leopard compatibility (OS 10.6)...now in your post above you mentioned "Leopard" (OS 10.5).

Beyond this...I don't really understand what you're talking about above.

Your original question was about was Diablo 2 compatible with OS 10.6. That question was already answered...Diablo 2 is compatible with Snow Leopard according to the Snow Leopard compatibility list.

- Nick

I'm saying, does the OS determine whether or not you can play the game? I'm on Leopard at the moment, and it won't even open the game after it's installed.
People have said that the AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers are the reason Diablo 2 won't open with Leopard.

Does Snow Leopard use different drivers?

I want to know whether or not my gfx card is the problem, or if my OS is.

Edit:
I'm on Leopard right now, and I want to know why D2 is going to run on Snow Leopard, but not Leopard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In response to your edit--I'm on Leopard right now, and I want to know why D2 is going to run on Snow Leopard, but not Leopard.

I have Diablo 2 installed on one of my computers that's running OS 10.5 Leopard...and Diablo 2 runs just fine...no problems!

I don't know why Diablo 2 is not running on your computer with 10.5 installed.

As far as 10.6...the Snow Leopard compatibility list says that Diablo 2 is compatible with OS 10.6.

So the bottom line is...Diablo 2 is compatible with both OS 10.5 & 10.6.

Good luck,

- Nick

Edit: Remember...Diablo 2 is a game that was first released around the 1999-2000 timeframe. To be able to run a almost 10 year old game on the newest or much newer Macintosh hardware may be expecting alot! Something to consider.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have Diablo 2 installed on one of my computers that's running OS 10.5 Leopard...and Diablo 2 runs just fine...no problems!

I don't know why Diablo 2 is not running on your computer with 10.5 installed.

As far as 10.6...the Snow Leopard compatibility list says that Diablo 2 is compatible with OS 10.6.

So the bottom line is...Diablo 2 is compatible with both OS 10.5 & 10.6.

Good luck,

- Nick

On your Leopard OS, are you using the AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your Leopard OS, are you using the AppleIntelGMAX3100 drivers?

No...the computer I'm running OS 10.5 on does not have X3100 graphics hardware.

Like I said: 10 year-old game + newer hardware = sometimes a bad combination

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
No...the computer I'm running OS 10.5 on does not have X3100 graphics hardware.

Like I said: 10 year-old game + newer hardware = sometimes a bad combination

- Nick

Well, if I buy Snow Leopard, am I going to be using the same drivers as I am now?

If so, what hardware upgrade would I need to get drivers that would work with applications now, and Diablo 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What is your version of 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 10.5.8 and the 10.5.8 combo updates are different.... the combo update is a larger update and includes items which aren't model specific.
The combo updates often resolve issues for many users that standard updates may not.
It's not to say that it will definitely resolve your issues, but it's certainly worth a shot.

OP
M
Reaction score
the 10.5.8 and the 10.5.8 combo updates are different.... the combo update is a larger update and includes items which aren't model specific.
The combo updates often resolve issues for many users that standard updates may not.
It's not to say that it will definitely resolve your issues, but it's certainly worth a shot.

I'll try it.
Also, is this going to mess up my Mac?
Whenever I tried getting those other drivers working, I removed mine. I have them backed up, but I don't know how to get them back into place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is unlikely that the mac let you remove anything that is crucial for it's performance without changing permissions.
Any drivers that you would have removed would be drivers that you added.
Run repair disk permissions, backup your mac onto external hard drive.... then perform the update.
There is no reason why it would mess up your mac, but in a very small percentage of users, problems arise when trying to update or after updates, and it should be standard practice to always keep current backups of your system, as well as backing up before any update or upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.