backing up a Mac

Reaction score
Whats the best free software to use to back up a customers Mac, and restore after i upgrade it, will be back up to a USB hard drive.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What version of Mac OS? Time Machine? I like SuperDuper as well, but it isn't free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whats the best free software to use to back up a customers Mac, and restore after i upgrade it, will be back up to a USB hard drive. Thanks

Use either SuperDuper (shareware) or Carbon Copy Cloner (donation ware). Of the two, I personally prefer and use Carbon Copy Cloner. Both applications will create a bootable clone of your internal drive to an external USB or Firewire drive.

SuperDuper

Carbon Copy Cloner

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the free version of superduper will clone the drive and allow you to move from one drive to another etc, it just won't do incrementals.

Reaction score
What version of Mac OS? Time Machine? I like SuperDuper as well, but it isn't free.
You can use SuperDuper for the initial backup, then use Time Machine to keep it up to date.
I don't think Time Machine will do a bare metal recovery. It seems to focus on user data and changes - but I don't think it will create a bootable HD.
SuperDuper will get a new HD spinning (or new machine) and back to a certain point in time (E.G.: 11/10/09) then Time Machine will let you bring it up to the point of failure.

You can also look at "CrashPlan", "Connected", "Mozy" and "Live Backup" for "Continuous Data Protection" (CDP) software.

CrashPlan is free (and pretty cool (Code 42 Software, Inc.)) and works on Mac, PC & Linux - all you need is some excess HD space on a NAS or network share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ummm what files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Users/<username>/Documents

by default

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.