Fans

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 15" unibody MBP, and I just had a general question about heat/fans. My fans hit some pretty high speeds (around 5,000 rpm) when my CPU temp reaches around 170-175 degrees. The laptop is warm to the touch when it reaches this temperature, but regardless of what others may say, I know this is not a problem. Like the veterans on here, I realize that the laptop would simply shut itself off if there were any real problems with heat.

Just looking for some reassurance that this is alright, cheers!

PaHs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Sounds about right to me. My MBP doesn't get that hot too often. I have smcFanControl so I monitor the temp every now and then. The fan and heat will crank up while running video, but it cools down fast. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's happening while you're just web surfing or running text based apps. In that case, I'd check into it a bit further.

One thing I found is that the MBP stays cooler with the battery removed. So if you're running video at home using external power, you might like to take the battery out. It's quieter that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One thing I found is that the MBP stays cooler with the battery removed. So if you're running video at home using external power, you might like to take the battery out. It's quieter that way.

Not a good idea. Read the following Apple KB article: LINK

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.