Upgrade from Tiger to Leopard Questions

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac world. Just bought a used Powerbook G4 1.67ghz. It currently has Tiger 10.4.x installed. I want to upgrade to Leopard but have some questions.

Where can I get the Leopard install media at a good price? I'm going to borrow a friends media but it might be the grey disks and I heard they may not work.

Can I do a fresh clean install of Leopard and still keep the MS Office 2004 currently on the machine? If not where can I find MS Office install media at a good price?

TIA

OP
T
Reaction score
Just found out that the Leopard install disk is black with a big X, so I assume that one will work, correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where can I get the Leopard install media at a good price?

Firstly...you should NOT use anyone else's "media" on your computer. 1 install /computer.

2nd, if you want your own copy of 10.5...go to eBay. Currently prices are $100+.

3rd...you should have no problem keeping/using Office 2004 after the 10.5 install.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just found out that the Leopard install disk is black with a big X, so I assume that one will work, correct?

Yes that is correct...and it will work even better if it's your own personal copy (not a friend's)!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Can I do a clean install of Leopard and only keep MS Office? I don't want to keep anything the previous owner had installed on the machine except for Office.

Can I by the media on eBay for version 10.5.1+ or do I have to start at the base 10.5.0 version then do upgrades through the OS?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I do a clean install of Leopard and only keep MS Office? I don't want to keep anything the previous owner had installed on the machine except for Office.

Can I by the media on eBay for version 10.5.1+ or do I have to start at the base 10.5.0 version then do upgrades through the OS?

No...you cannot do a clean install of Leopard...and selectively keep Office 2004...and get rid of the rest during the install.

If you want to do a clean install of 10.5 & keep Office 2004...but don't want the rest of the previous owner's stuff...you need to delete the other stuff yourself.

If you plan on buying 10.5 on eBay you are pretty much limited to what is available. There really is no major difference between 10.5.0 & 10.5.1...especially when the last version of 10.5 you can update to is 10.5.8 (which is free via "Software Update").

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.