MacBook

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am very aware that this will come across as a sketchy question, but I am an honest person and the ex I am referring to here is currently in jail (for other reasons).

Anyway, I have a MacBook that my ex gave me a couple of years ago (after he got a new one through his work) My old friend the iBook just died last week (well my cat spilled a glass of water on it and no one had any faith that it could be fixed) so I thought I would dig out the MacBook and try to use it again. I stopped using it because 3-4 months after my ex gave it to me, he reported it "stolen" (after I got a restraining order on him after he repeatedly broke into my house and attacked me) so anyway, I stopped using it then. I do not know anything about computers, at all. I do not know what to do about this or if I can even use it now without fear of being tracked and arrested for my ex's attempts at retaliation?

Is something like this even possible?

Is there any way around this? I am scared. Should I just throw it out? I mean, what do I do with it?

What should I do?

Like I said, I know it sounds sketchy, but it is NOT a stolen laptop. It was his, he gave it to me when he got a new one because I only had a desktop back then and before that, he had been letting me borrow it all the time anyway.

I should add that I have all the passwords and everything for the admin login, etc. because he gave me all the info, and if it were actually "stolen" then I would not have those.

Thank you very much for your understanding and any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is something like this even possible?

Is there any way around this? I am scared. Should I just throw it out? I mean, what do I do with it?

What should I do?

Well...assuming your story to be true (what else can I do, you're a stranger) I really don't think that there is anything that your "ex" could do to track you down or retaliate against you if you start using the MacBook.

Folks post here all the time about their laptops being stolen...and asking the question, "Is there some way to track down their computer to recover it?"...and unfortunately in many many of the cases nothing can be done.

So this same principle would work for you in this situation. I would say you should be ok using the MacBook.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you, Nick. I appreciate the response very much. My story is very true, sadly. I am an honest, hard-working woman and just want to be able to use the laptop without fear. If I can't, I want to know what to do with it. Thanks for your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.