How do I transfer files between computers?

Reaction score
Hi, my old Macbook finally bought the farm and it's logic board was killed. However, the hard drive still lives on, with all of my music, pictures and files. I just purchased a new Macbook Pro to replace it. How would I transfer all of the files from the old computer to the new one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, my old Macbook finally bought the farm and it's logic board was killed. However, the hard drive still lives on, with all of my music, pictures and files. I just purchased a new Macbook Pro to replace it. How would I transfer all of the files from the old computer to the new one?

Remove the hard drive from your old MacBook...install it in an external hard drive enclosure...transfer your files to your new MacBook Pro.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do what Pigoo suggested with the external case with your old hard drive and you can either manually transfer the files or use the Migration Assistant.

Just be careful what you migrate to the new machine if it's running Snow Leopard as a lot of old software like say Paragon will cause you a lot of issues in Snow Leopard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.