Powermac G5 max size HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
hi guys i have a late 2005 spec G5, 2.3Dual core version
i wanted to know what the maximum size drive i can use in my machine is?
i know it has 2 drive bays & i also know you can get 1.5 & even 2tb drives now. what i wanted to know was will it be able to "see" all of a 2tb drive?

somebody suggested to me that as the maximum size was a bit smaller when my machine was made that it might not be able to actually use all of the additional storage??

any help muchly appreciated :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did a little internet research...and could not find any limitation on hard drive size for a dual-core Powermac G5. So I would say get as big of a hard drive as you want/can afford.

- Nick

OP
sabot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i had a nose round & couldn't find anything mentioning limits either.
this is next on my list after adding some more Ram

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never seen any limit mentioned either. I would check with OWC and see what hard drives they recommend for your machine as that will probably show you if there is any Limit. Only thing I can think of is the controller in the older Power Mac G5 is probably SATA 1.5 and not the newer SATA 3.0. If you run into problems with a new drive, look up the jumper specs for the new SATA drive and put a 1.5 Jumper on it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...=Data+Storage&TI=3747&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

See if this helps. Shows 2TB drives for your machine.

OP
sabot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the link, looks like a good store :)

hmmm
looking on the main apple site today its still quoting the MacPro as being able to accomodate 4 of 1tb drives! they even use the 4tb capacity as a selling point!

surely they know larger drives are available now? 8tb internal storage is awesome!

unless of course they know something we don't? :[

been doing some more digging & its something called a "floor limit" eg you can/should only fit a maximum 250gb drive in a macbook (can't remember exactly which model, it was a very information filled phonecall) but you can fit a 500 if you partition it & look it up as 2 volumes (apparently)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.