Cracked trackpad on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi! I've had a 15" MBP for about 90 days now and the trackpad recently cracked from normal use. I was so surprised because it happened while I was merely scrolling around with the touchpad as I usually do. Since it is out of the 30-day warranty it is not covered by Apple in any way. To make a long story short, I have ordered the trackpad ONLY (not the entire keyboard "upper case") from a store on eBay because Apple wanted to charge me $220 more for the part. However, I have no idea how to install the piece and I do not plan on attempting it until I am certain of what to do. If anyone has any clue or advice please provide me with as much information as you can. Even if you know of somewhere that might have the answer for me I would be very grateful to you. Please, please, please send me anything you know. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

P.S. - I have the A1286 Model that does not have the access door for the battery. Thanks again!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Isn't the warranty for a year?

OP
ravensfan91
Reaction score
Yes, but this is what is stated in the warranty clause for Apple:
"Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty for MacBook Pro excludes coverage for damage resulting from a number of events, including accident, liquid spill or submersion, unauthorized service and unauthorized modifications."
I called Apple today and they essentially said there was no way the trackpad could crack like it did from normal use. That's when I ordered the new trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hold on. You said it broke under normal use? That means there was a manufacturing defect and Apple should absolutely cover it. If it really did break under normal usage, then don't take no for an answer and don't spend a dime getting this fixed.

Reaction score
My trackpad also cracked right at the middle bottom while just scrolling down a site. I read on some site there is a small screw just under the trackpad at this spot. Mine was 2 weeks old. Haven't called apple yet. Where is your crack? Also a 15" MBP.

Reaction score
RJNdtkvPDvpTymoX.large

Reaction score
I would think that should be covered under the one year complimentary applecare deal. If there isn't any other damage to your computer, then there should be no discrepancies. Besides, Apple must know by now that these things are going to happen to a thin piece of glass that is the point and click for your whole computer. No matter what the 30 day deal says, your computer is still covered for the first year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I don't buy that it broke under, "normal use." I tried to see it myself, because I believed my suspicions, and it wouldn't budge! The glass part of the trackpad is only the top part that you can feel. There are 4 more layers under that, which includes a sheet of metal. It is sturdy enough that when you tap on a corner, the whole thing moves without flexing. The only way I could see it braking is if someone got mad and pounded on it.

I think the best bet will be to buy it, as you have done, and talk KINDLY to the apple store to help you with the price of labor so they can fix it. I know they can adjust prices. If you do this yourself, you will void your warranty! Have piece of mind and let them do it, because they are not that easy to work on.

Reaction score
Normal use, no kidding. And it is a hairline crack, not a an impact crack. I have the Best Buy accident insurance so I get it fixed free either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
No way. I have never heard of this. And if it was an issue, Apple would have to cover it. Trackpads just don't crack for no reason.

Reaction score
Just like they said the white macbooks didn't just crack for no reason......And then they decided 2 start covering it. Just saying sometimes things break in ways that we wouldn't believe just being normal use but it does happen. Anything and everything can be defective.

Reaction score
I need help

Hello everybody!
I've bought Macbook pro, last year in September, I've told my friend he should buy the same. I've got mine from US (California), he bought in Italy, his trackpad broke down, it looks like crack, he says he wasn't violent, nor did he pushed hard. Since it's been only 2 weeks since he bought laptop it has guaranty, right? Guess what they've told him:

Gireesh: I apologize for the delay caused. I have reviewed the images and I see that this issue is not covered as the the track pad damage is an accidental damage.

They've also gave him case number, what shall he do? Oh and Macbook pro usually coast here costs alot more than in US...

Reaction score
hairline cracks from gentle use.

Normal use, no kidding. And it is a hairline crack, not a an impact crack. I have the Best Buy accident insurance so I get it fixed free either way.

I have a 15 month old MacBook Pro. I was just using my computer and the mouse pad cracked (hairline) in the left upper corner under gentle pressure from my finger tips.

I have AppleCare, so when I called the local store today they said to make an appointment with the Genius Bar and they will fix it or give me a new computer.

My guess is that this problem is fairly common.

b.t.w.
I am in California, not Euro at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Can someone post a picture of theirs that is cracked. I have seen screens on other laptops crack on their own, usually because of heat. I know the battery is underneath the trackpad, this may be the issue. If I was able to see a picture, I could tell you if the crack is from pressure (does not matter how much) or from "normal use".

Reaction score
I would post a pic, but I just picked up my Macbook Pro today after the genius bar fixed it. Luckily they didin't charge me for it, I would have been steaming mad if they had tried. They said "One time benefit of the doubt repair".

Took me two complete afternoons to drive to the nearest apple store this week (75 min drive to get there, then 75 min back home).

It was simply a hairline crack across the upper left corner, no impact spot, nothing like a chip, ect. JUST a hairline crack. The machine is in pristine condition and they had noted this in the repair order.

What could be doing this? Heat from below? improper fitting? (I.e. is the glass edge sticking on the aluminium?), It is started on the top edge and cracked downward.
Could getting something smaller than a grain of sand (even oil and dirt buildup) get in between the glass and metal put pressure when one takes pressure OFF the pad? Similar to putting something in the crack of a door between the hinges and then closing the door on it.

After this happened to me, I believe everyone on here that claims the same thing.

Reaction score
cracked trackpad on 15" (almost 3mo old) macbook pro

Here is the letter I wrote tonight and am sending to Tim Cook and others....

I am writing today because although I have been an Enthusiastic Apple Supporter since 2004, very much so, today I am so very disappointed.
I am feeling completely unsupported by Apple and let down.

During this decade I have bought, used and cherished 2 MacBooks, a 21" iMac, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 3 Nanos and a shuffle......and have turned many friends into Apple loyalists.

Each of my Macs and devices became an essential, exquisite part of my life.
I know that is exactly what Steve Jobs hoped for. He accomplished his dream and lived long enough to know it.

Now my belief in the Apple Culture is genuinely shaken.

Here's the story:
I purchased a 15" Macbook Pro on Thanksgiving Day, 2013. I love it! 2 Nights ago, Feb24, 2014 I walked back to my computer after grabbing a snack at 5pm. I had been working on it all day long in my home office. It had not been moved. I looked down and noticed what looked like a beautiful, glistening spider web on the trackpad. I thought it was a misplaced thread that had blown over while I walked away.

OHHH, NO.....to my disbelief it was a crack in the track pad. The computer had not been moved all day, nothing dropped on it from the ceiling. As a matter of fact the computer has never been dropped. I made a Genius Bar appointment at the North Shore Mall in Peabody, MA for the next day, certain it would be covered by the warranty.

To my chagrin, I was told that even though it was not my fault, Apple Care would not cover the cost and I would have to pay $438 to fix it. I had walked into the Apple Store fully expecting that my less than 3 month old $2000 computer would be taken care of at no extra charge to me and I was ready to plunk down the $350 to extend Apple Care for 3 years, as I always do.

Here is the Problem:
I felt sad, disappointed, let down and NOT taken care of by my favorite Corporation. I had assumed that Apple was different from all the others. I assumed it cared about its customers as much as its bottom line. I learned differently yesterday.....and I am extremely upset today.

I have invested $2000 in a 15” Macbook barely 90 days ago and am ready to spend another $350 to extend Apple Care.
Another $438 to fix a beautiful high quality product in less than 3 months after purchase does not seem like a proper approach.
BTW, a search on Google showed me this problem is quite common on new computers with normal use.

Thank you for your prompt attention,
Cathy Marie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BTW, a search on Google showed me this problem is quite common on new computers with normal use.

I'm sorry to inform you...but this issue is not that common!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.