Cant decide between Macbook White or Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well im buying a macbook in a few weeks but I cant decide which one to buy. Personally I like the look of the Pro more. But after looking at the specs, it seems the White has better specs for a lower price?

Im pretty clueless when it comes to the insides of a computer. Hard drive, RAM, etc etc so I need someones help.

The Pro has 2GB RAM, 2.26GHz processor, 160GB HDD (hard drive?)
The White has 2GB RAM, 2.26GHz processor, but 250GB HDD.

The white is also $300 cheaper..? Im really confused. Can someone just explain the main differences between the two computers and if I would need the extra hard drive? Id only be using the computer for msn, the internet, taking photos, movie editing probably and music (itunes).

Any help and information would be appreciated! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Not much difference, except for hard drive size. I say go for the white MacBook. I would highly recommend an external hard drive for Time Machine back ups. It can be a lifesaver if something ever happened, and I have had to recover old files more times than I could count on my hands. You will be very well suited with the white MacBook, and yes, it's cheaper ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Comparison chart here.

Main difference is Firewire, and SD card slot, and a backlit keyboard which the MB does not have. The screen on the MBP is also of higher quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
MBP is a more advanced machine in specs AND looks IMO. White/black MacBooks always looked a little "kid-ish" IMO in comparison because of their plastic shells.

Of course I mean no offense to any of our lovely MB owners here :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I think I like the look of the white MB more myself actually!

But they're both good machines, just depends on what you want to use it for! But if you can't work out why the MBP is more expensive then I'd say go for the white one xD

Reaction score
Memory, battery?

The official Apple specs for the new white mb says max memory is 4GB, but I read somewhere, perhaps in Engadget, that it can go up to 8GB. I wish I could get a more definitive answer on this.

I also wonder which has better battery life? Because the white mb is newer, does that mean that battery life is longer?

For 13", the pro is just a tad lighter, but you probably can't tell the difference.

Reaction score
I also read somewhere that while there are 2 usb ports on the new white mb, there's so little space between them, that if you're using one, there's no space to use the second, depending on your usb plug, so in effect, there's only one usb port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
The screen is a big issue for me, the MacBook Pro has a much better one.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The official Apple specs for the new white mb says max memory is 4GB, but I read somewhere, perhaps in Engadget, that it can go up to 8GB. I wish I could get a more definitive answer on this.

I also wonder which has better battery life? Because the white mb is newer, does that mean that battery life is longer?

For 13", the pro is just a tad lighter, but you probably can't tell the difference.

You will never need 8GB on a Notebook to begin with anyways. If you ever do need that amount of RAM you should be using a desktop to begin with.

2GB is more than plenty for everyday computing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MBP is a more advanced machine in specs AND looks IMO. White/black MacBooks always looked a little "kid-ish" IMO in comparison because of their plastic shells.

Of course I mean no offense to any of our lovely MB owners here :)

I believe the correct term is "childy" (forgive me, long dead, inside joke on these forums).

In my opinion, if you don't need the FW port, save yourself a couple of hundred dollars and go with the MacBook. From what I've seen of it, the specs are as good as the low-end Pro and aside from the plastic looks, it's a solid machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The screen is a big issue for me, the MacBook Pro has a much better one.

Have you seen the screen in person? Looking at the two at the Apple Store, they look identical to me. I believe this was true of the outgoing model, but the current unibody plastic MacBook has the same LED backlit screen and looks every bit as good as the 13" MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Have you seen the screen in person? Looking at the two at the Apple Store, they look identical to me. I believe this was true of the outgoing model, but the current unibody plastic MacBook has the same LED backlit screen and looks every bit as good as the 13" MacBook Pro.

Yes I have ... the MacBook screen seemed fuzzy compared to the MacBooK Pro.
Maybe it was an out going model as you suggest ...

I would suggest you look at them in person before ordering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You will never need 8GB on a Notebook to begin with anyways. If you ever do need that amount of RAM you should be using a desktop to begin with.

2GB is more than plenty for everyday computing.

4GB is more than plenty for everyday computing. Yes, the MBP will go up to 8GB, but that is indeed getting into not only desktop but server realms. 2GB isn't quite up to snuff if you've had 4GB in the past. Right now 4GB is reasonably priced while 8GB isn't. Having the capability to go to 8GB assuming that some day it will be reasonably priced is nice, however.

I'd still go with a MBP simply because the backlit keyboard, brilliant screen, and firewire are worth the extra $200 or whatever it is. SD card reader is nice too. I use it but that's because I have a DSLR that uses SD cards. Plus SD cards are cheap, convenient extra storage for all that multimedia we have these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.