Problem installing new hard drive in MacBook

Reaction score
I just purchased a new 500GB Western Digital hard drive to put in my MacBook (13" Late 2006) but am having problems getting it to fit in. I removed the old drive easily by pulling on the white tab and got the drive into the casing for the hard drive.

However, when I try to put the new drive back in it doesn't lock into place.
Since this didn't work, I then tried to put the old drive back in but am faced with the same problem.

Anyone have any insight into why this might be? I watched some videos on YouTube and everyone just showed the drive sliding right in easily.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the rubber rails that are fitted to the sides of the HDD cavity are in place and are not misaligned. Sounds like they might be and at least one of them is preventing the drive from going all the way in. By the way, do not try to force anything or you may have an expensive repair to deal with.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
What are these rubber rails you speak of? I don't seem to see any.

By the HDD cavity do you mean the silver, shiny piece that screws to the hard disk itself?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the cavity is the hole that the drive fits into. The rubber rails are on the inside of the cavity. If they are misaligned or have come loose, the drive will not go back in. Common problem.

Use a strong flashlight to look inside best you can. You can also try using your fingers to feel around inside. If you feel one of the rubber rails (guides) out of place, try pushing it gently back.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey, just found the problem. Those rubber rails you were talking about actually fell deep into the bay where the connectors are and prevented the HDD from going in all the way. I removed both with chopsticks (woot for being Asian lol). Anyway, I just put the drive in and am installing OS X.

Do you know how essential those rubber rails are for keeping the hard drive in place? I removed both of them and they are sitting on my desk as OS X installs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again:

Glad you found the rubber rails (guides) and was able to get your MacBook up and running. As far as them being essential for the drive to work, they actually act as a sort of "shock" protector for the drive against sudden movement of the machine. In other words, they help keep your drive snugly in place and from moving around. Just make sure the drive is not loose and can move around.

If possible, try to put the rubber rails back in place or stick them on the side of the drive holder with a slight bit of rubber cement. That will work.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey chscag,

Thanks for the advice. Was just wondering...I am a little wary of gluing those rubber rails back into the bay (could be a potentially messy job). Anyway, was wondering if I should take this to the Apple Store to get fixed. Any idea if they do it and has my warranty been voided by changing the hard disk? I remember hearing from Apple that it doesn't, but was given different information when I called AppleCare over the phone yesterday.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean for you to glue the rubber rails (guides) back into the HDD bay itself since that would be hit and miss. Glue them to the sides of the HDD carrier that fits into the bay. And as I advised before, use rubber glue (small amount) as it's non conductive and can come off easily if you should mess up.

As far as the warranty is concerned, replacing the HDD yourself does not void the warranty, however, anything that you damage in the process will not be covered by the warranty. I wouldn't bother taking it into the Apple store - just try what I suggested. You'll be OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK....... :)

Have fun and stay cool.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.