Will Cyberduck answer my ftp needs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I have domain hosted free as an add-on domain at freehostia.com, using Cyberduck I was easily able to connect for the purpose of adding and deleting files. Great! But I'm also looking for something else. A few weeks ago an associate instructed me to log into his ftp account (via internet explorer, windows explorer) and transfer files that way. When I did there was only one folder available to me and whatever what is that folder. I would like to be able to do the same with my ftp account. Can I do this? Or rather, should I be asking, will freehostia let me do this?

Thank you.
(Yes, what I want is basically a dropbox. But using ftp from my site has a much higher cool factor, and I should really know how to do this)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Are you talking like a public ftp folder? I'm not quite sure what you are asking. All ftp is sort of like a dropbox. You need your password and username to connect and you can download/upload as you wish.

OP
FasterPussyCat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, exactly like a public ftp folder. But when I connect to me site, I see Everything that is already there. If I want to share files with someone I obviously would have specific files in mind just for that person. Perhaps my host just has limitations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It doesn't matter what ftp client you use. So either it be Cyberduck or some other ftp program it doesnt matter.

Does your host provide you with cPanel access? If so you can set something up like this:
How do I set up public ftp? - Hostmonster Forums

OP
FasterPussyCat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, just figured out I would a) want to create a 'user' account and b) direct it to a folder. Brilliant! Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.