• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.6.2 released

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
About Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update

The 10.6.2 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes for:

More information and the download link for the Combo updater here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
10.6.2 released - Run software update, this is a big one

10.6.2 has been released, legions of Mac Addicts. Run software update, as this is the one that takes care of the majority of known bugs.

General operating system fixes provided for:

* an issue that caused data to be deleted when using a guest account
* an issue that might cause your system to logout unexpectedly
* Spotlight search results not showing Exchange contacts
* the reliability of menu extras
* an issue in Dictionary when using Hebrew as the primary language
* shutter-click sound effect when taking a screenshot
* an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture
* an issue adding images to contacts in Address Book
* an issue in Front Row that could cause sluggish or slow frame rates while watching videos
* creation of mobile accounts for Active Directory users
* reliability and duration of VPN connections
* general reliability improvements for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, and iDisk
* overall improvements to VoiceOver performance
* this update addresses video playback and performance issues for iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) and iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) computers that may occur in some situations while AirPort is turned on

Fonts fixes provided for:

* an issue with font spacing
* an issue in which some Fonts are missing
* font duplication issues
* an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly

Graphics fixes provided for:

* an issue when connecting monitors to DVI and Mini DisplayPort adapters
* an issue in which the brightness setting may not be remembered on restart
* addresses functionality with specific display models
* general reliability and performance improvements when using some applications

Mail fixes provided for:

* a situation in which Mail's unread count may not update properly as messages are read on another computer
* an issue in which deleted RSS feeds may return
* an issue in which Mail cannot preview or Quick Look attachments when composing a new message
* an issue that can cause Address Book and/or Mail to stop responding when opened
* an issue in which email messages received from an Exchange Server are not formatted correctly
* an issue in which Mail reports "Account exceeded bandwidth limits" for some Gmail accounts

MobileMe fixes provided for:

* performance when accessing files from iDisk via the Finder and syncing iDisk files
* an issue in which syncing iDisk files does not proceed beyond "checking items"
* reliability and performance when syncing contacts, calendars, and bookmarks with MobileMe (syncing with iTunes and iSync are also improved)
* an issue that prevents some users from logging into MobileMe via the MobileMe System Preference pane

Network file systems fixes provided for:

* compatibility with third-party AFP servers
* file synchronization for portable home directories

Printing and faxing fixes provided for:

* automatic printer updates improvements
* Print dialog allowing you to enter and send to more than one fax recipient

Safari fixes provided for:

* a graphics distortion issue in Safari Top Sites
* Safari plug-in reliability

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks for the heads up, downloading now, although at almost 500MB thats a service pack come OS! lol :Angry-Tongue: ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the "memo"!;)

With 10.6.2 being released...maybe it's time to upgrade my laptop to Snow Leopard!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This does look like a big update. Maybe most of the major glitches are fixed...and now I can upgrade my laptop to SL.

Thanks for the post!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for the heads up.... looks like a nice piece of update, not that I've been having problems, but for the many that have, it looks as though this will bring a big sigh of relief! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just made this post in the OS X forum. :D You probably beat me by a few minutes, though, CWA. My update was only 157.7MB, installation took about 7 minutes. I saw on gizmodo though that it appeared to be a 500MB update for them too.

I wonder when Apple will enable the 64 bit kernel for my machine since I have a 64 bit EFI? Haven't checked yet in this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doh! CWA beat out this post by ONE minute in the Apple Rumors and Reports forum... he was at 6:13, I was at 6:14. Of course, mine might be in the more appropriate forum, though I can see the topic having a place in both. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
157.7MB, installation took about 8 minutes, thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I just made this post in the OS X forum. :D You probably beat me by a few minutes, though, CWA. My update was only 157.7MB, installation took about 7 minutes. I saw on gizmodo though that it appeared to be a 500MB update for them too.

I wonder when Apple will enable the 64 bit kernel for my machine since I have a 64 bit EFI? Haven't checked yet in this.

I thought these updates happened automatically and behind the scenes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought these updates happened automatically and behind the scenes.

Nope...this is the way it has worked at least since OS 10.4...and maybe earlier.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Even if it was (which I doubt), you won't want to boot into a 64-bit kernel anyway. It will be much more trouble than anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's not worth it right now, I'm just hoping they don't leave me behind, since my machine does have a 64 bit EFI, and the unibody pros can boot into 64 bit kernel (late 2008, 15 inch and 17 inch), but so far it is disabled for me. I just don't want to get left out to dry when my hardware is capable down the road when a 64 bit kernel will be a better idea. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree that having the artificial limitation is ridiculous. That said, the limitation isn't limiting me from something I want to do anyway. ;)

Anyway, back on topic, 10.6.2 was a nice and easy install for me. I do wish they would expand what they're saying are improvements though. For instance, the KB article says, "Safari plug-in reliability". What plug-ins? Am I missing a more in-depth list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
although at almost 500MB thats a service pack come OS! lol :Angry-Tongue: ;D

So that 6gb on average they gave back to us in the SL upgrade is slowly getting dwindled away ....... ;P

10.6.2 went ok here .....

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOTE: Merged redundant threads.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always recommend the Combo updater after the 10.5.8 fiasco, which resulted in a lot of permanent blue screens for a number of folks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must be one lucky guy because I have never had an issue with 10.x.x updates. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I came home from the Apple Store who was out of the Magic Mouse to find the 10.6.2 update waiting for me. Installed it, works fine. No issues so far.

I did find a Magic Mouse at BB, will report on that later after I mess with it a bit more in another thread. I am told the latest update for the MM is in 10.6.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.