Do I Need Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I just bought a new MacBook Pro, and today I bought a manual called "Switching to the Mac - Leopard Edition." I didn't know there were different editions.:Smirk: AFAIK, my Mac doesn't have Snow Leopard.

1. Do I actually need it? My Mac is for home use only.
  2. Should I exchange the book, or will most everything be the same, anyway?

Thx for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Im surprised that if you bought a new MBP that it didn't com with SL.... but most $29 that it will cost you to upgrade, you may as well get it.

I wouldn't rush to install it until you get to know your mac a little though.
As for the book, you will find that 99% of it will be relevant to Leopard too as most the upgrade is under the bonnet in space, and a few performance tweaks, however, as more and more 3rd party software is updated to meet snow leopard requirements, I think that you may want to upgrade once you learn your way around the Macm and are comfortable with performing the upgrade.
You can go to the apple website, and have a look at all the changes with Snow Leopard here.
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - The world?s most advanced OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are you sure you don't have Snow Leopard? It looks very similar to Leopard. If you're not certain, then click on the Apple in the upper left and click on About This Mac. What version does it say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Leopard and Snow Leopard are very similar OSes from a functionality standpoint, so the book will be applicable. I still have Pogue's Leopard the Missing Guide book, and it is good.

I'm pretty sure you have Snow Leopard by the way... click the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your desktop, select "About This Mac..."

It will tell you what OS you are running... if it's version 10.6.x it's Snow Leopard. 10.5.x and it's Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.