Question about highlighting

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first Apple product; a Macbook Pro. I've had it for around a month and I love it. It's fast and is just far superior to my Windows Machine.

Without boring you guys, I had a HP that ahd multiple problems and spent 3 months in Texas getting a motherboard fixed. Luckily it was during the summer.

Anyway, I have a question for you guys. I have gotten used to the Mac (and pretty much forgotten how to use a PC, sadly) but the one thing that I cannot get used to is the highlighting. It seems to hang onto the double click for just longer than I want it to. The PC would double click and let off when I let off, but the Mac holds it for a little bit longer so I constantly highlight too much or the whole page, by accident. Is there any way I can change this?

Also, the battery on these things is sweet. Got 6 hours + out of it running about 18 programs (at which point it did hickup) but it was running multiple Safaris with multiple tabs, multiple Words, an Excel and a Powerpoin as well as a few Previews. Oh and each Word document was abotu 14 pages....

How can I keep it clean? The trackpad is great and the keys are starting to get wear (I do type quite a bit on a laptop).

Lastly, I've downloaded Caffeine and it's a great program. Are there any others? I'll search around in a bit but I got something to do right now.

Thanks,

-rockstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Highlighting is click/drag/release. Double click is to highlight the word under the mouse pointer. Triple click highlights the entire paragraph.

I'm not sure from your description exactly what you're doing with the double click.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I double click to drag... for instance, if I wanted to highlight from "well" to the last word in my sentence, I'll click once, then hold the second click and drag until I get to the last word, then let off. However, sometimes I'll move the cursor and it'll keep highlighting for another second or so.

I just don't know how to change it to not do that. My MBP doesn't have a setting that I can change to do that with.

-rockstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
You don't need to double click to select text ;)

Click once where you want to start your selection and then move the mouse to the end of your selection and let go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just don't know how to change it to not do that. My MBP doesn't have a setting that I can change to do that with.
The settings that it doesn't have that you're looking for are the "dragging" and "drag lock" checkboxes in the Trackpad pane of System Preferences.

If you can't find a combination of those boxes that works for you, buy a mouse.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, it looks like there isn't a setting to adjust how long it holds the double click for.

The reason I double click to highlight text is b/c after 2 years of use, the left and right click on my HP would barely work without putting about 5 lbs of force on the button.

-rockstate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.