Financial software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
Hello! I've been searching the forums reading your comments about financial software....and I'm still undecided. I'm currently using Quicken on my kids' computer and it is really the last thing I haven't migrated to the Mac....and I'm ready to make the change! After reading Quicken for Mac reviews, I'm fairly certain that I don't want to use that. I'm leaning towards ibank because of the itouch program that syncs with the Mac. I would be basically using ibank (or whatever I choose) strictly as a glorified checkbook register to track my checkbook, credit cards and savings accounts. I don't download information from my bank, and I don't track my investments with what I currently use. I would like to assign categories to my transactions and track my spending in different areas...but that's about the extent of what I need it for. I don't really mind starting from scratch...meaning if I can't import my data from Quicken, I don't really care. I just want something stable and easy to use.

So, would ibank be a good choice, or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks!!!

Wendy

Reaction score
Hello! I've been searching the forums reading your comments about financial software....and I'm still undecided. I'm currently using Quicken on my kids' computer and it is really the last thing I haven't migrated to the Mac....and I'm ready to make the change! After reading Quicken for Mac reviews, I'm fairly certain that I don't want to use that. I'm leaning towards ibank because of the itouch program that syncs with the Mac. I would be basically using ibank (or whatever I choose) strictly as a glorified checkbook register to track my checkbook, credit cards and savings accounts. I don't download information from my bank, and I don't track my investments with what I currently use. I would like to assign categories to my transactions and track my spending in different areas...but that's about the extent of what I need it for. I don't really mind starting from scratch...meaning if I can't import my data from Quicken, I don't really care. I just want something stable and easy to use.

So, would ibank be a good choice, or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks!!!

Wendy
Have you looked at www<dot>Mint<dot>com ? It isn't Mac or PC software - it is web based. So, it is accessible from your iPhone too. It is supposed to be secure and has gotten pretty good reviews.

I have 3 credit cards, 4 checking accounts at 3 different banks. I use Quicken / TurboTax / PayTrust. Mint is the only thing I've seen that would make me want to change.

I haven't taken the final step, but I am looking closely at it.

BTW - I read about Mint in the SJ Mercury News and I've seen articles elsewhere - I am not associated with them in any way shape or form.

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't looked at that, but I'm using an itouch, so I could not access the information unless I was somewhere with wifi.

I would love to upgrade to an iphone....but Verizon doesn't offer them....and where I'm located, Verizon service is better than AT & T :-(

Wendy

Reaction score
I haven't looked at that, but I'm using an itouch, so I could not access the information unless I was somewhere with wifi.

I would love to upgrade to an iphone....but Verizon doesn't offer them....and where I'm located, Verizon service is better than AT & T :-(

Wendy
Mint.com is a web site; no software and nothing to download.

Because its a web site, it isn't PC, Mac, iPhone or iPod based. As long as you have Internet access, you can get to your finances.

You keep all your financial data on their web site, and it links to your banks and credit cards. It is supposed to automatically update and balance your accounts.

It sounds dangerous, but, in some ways it's safer - you can't lose the data to fire, flood or theft. These web sites are only as good as the people that run them - and Mint.com has some pretty good references.

You can also check out PayTrust.com - I've used them since 2002 with no problems.

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because its a web site, it isn't PC, Mac, iPhone or iPod based. As long as you have Internet access, you can get to your finances.

Unfortunately I live in the boondocks and we don't have many wifi locations. That is what is appealing about ibank or a similar software. My being able to access my financial information would not be dependent on being near a wifi.

Wendy

Reaction score
Unfortunately I live in the boondocks and we don't have many wifi locations. That is what is appealing about ibank or a similar software. My being able to access my financial information would not be dependent on being near a wifi.

Wendy
Just out of curiosity: How are you connecting to the Internet right now - as you read this / type your answer? Are you in a coffee shop with WiFi using your Mac?

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity: How are you connecting to the Internet right now - as you read this / type your answer? Are you in a coffee shop with WiFi using your Mac?

I'm actually at home right now. I live in a town of about 8000 and we have one hot spot in the entire town. (and that is at a gas station)

Now, if we still lived in Chicago...this would not be an issue! LOL

Wendy

Reaction score
I'm actually at home right now. I live in a town of about 8000 and we have one hot spot in the entire town. (and that is at a gas station)

Now, if we still lived in Chicago...this would not be an issue! LOL

Wendy
If you are accessing this web site from home, why are Hotspots, WiFi and Chicago important to your choice of Personal Finance applications?

Reaction score
MoneyDance

I was in the same boat a few months ago when I got my Mac. Moneydance was recommended by people and I do like it quite a bit. They have a generous free trial offer so there is little to lose.

Reaction score
i donno if i would use a web based system...i don't like the idea of not having all the info i need or my personnal data elsewhere then my harddrive. even if is't really secure....my 2cent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Another vote for Mint.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.